Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey module

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
pcchenard
281 Views, 12 Replies

Survey module

Does anyone "in the know" have any idea if the functionality of the LDT Survey module will ever be part of Civil 3D? Or is it going to become an add-on module for Map 3D when LDT does actually go away? I would like to start planning on what direction to take our licenses for the future. But without knowing how the survey end of things fits into the plans for Civil 3D and/or Map 3D I can't do much.

Personally I think it looks like it would be more cost effective for us if it were an add-on for Map 3D (Or a stand alone product similar to Civil 3D) as the users of the survey functionality don't require all the civil functionality. And yes I know they have Field Survey...but that is just Carlson Survey with the Autodesk name on it.

Thanks,
Pete
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: pcchenard

Pete, Autodesk has not announced anything they might or might not be doing in regards to a survey module to work with Civil 3D. Be patient and I'll bet there will be an announcement one way or the other by the 2005 spring releases.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 13
pcchenard

I was affraid of that. With their cheap cross grades right now it would be nice to know how many copies of Civil 3D we will really need in the future. Without knowing what they are doing with the Survey module, and how we can interact with Map 3D for sure, I can't do anything. Which means that it will probably end up costing us more money in the future.

Not that I want to jump right in to Civil 3D, because the opposite is true. There will be a lot of training and getting users to re-think the way they do things to make a smooth transition from LDT to Civil 3D.

Does anyone know if you will be able to open a Map 3D drawing (with terrian data already created) with Civil 3D (or vice versa) and be able to work with the data without corruption?

Again, just trying to plan my upgrade path accordingly. Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Pete
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Map3D uses the point and surface entities from Civil3D so that shouldn't be a problem. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I did hear a little bit on this. I went to one of the meet and greet demos when LDT2005 was released. Civil 3D was also demo'ed.The guy giving the demo showed the new Survey for 2005 and said it was obviously written to fit into C3D. It had the same type of explorer interface. So for what it's worth I'd say that it will probably be included eventually. Allen "tcorey" wrote in message news:12994146.1098647434251.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Pete, Autodesk has not announced anything they might or might not be doing in regards to a survey module to work with Civil 3D. Be patient and I'll bet there will be an announcement one way or the other by the 2005 spring releases.
Message 6 of 13
pcchenard

I would really like to hear from one of the developers on this if possible. Is there one out there who can offer some insite?

Thanks,
Pete
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Anyone who knows anything can't talk about it. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Hey pcchenard: Have you tried your reseller? They usually have a way of sharing info that stays within the boundaries of their Non-Disclosure Agreement with Autodesk. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D/LDT 2004 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "James Wedding" wrote in message news:41811572_2@newsprd01... > Anyone who knows anything can't talk about it. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! >
Message 9 of 13
pcchenard

Probably not...but that's a crock. Subscriptions are due and I need to figure out how many licenses of what to keep, downgrade or ditch. I can't do that without knowing what is goig to happen with the Survey module. But then what do they care? It's in their best interest and more money in their pocket to keep me in the dark.
Message 10 of 13
pcchenard

I have talked with my reseller a couple different times. He said that he doesn't know for sure what is going to happen with it.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Not really, since we can't discuss unannounced products or schedules. Anything we might tell you would be a guess at best, and probably not be the kind of data you would want to bank on. Basically, there is no product until it gets announced. On another note, I wrote this poem about waiting. leaves that grew in spring now fall as autumn breezes wisk and grow again next spring little changes do they risk a summer then and fall again and spring to come once more then my love will whisper the words that i adore --dunc++ "pcchenard" wrote in message news:24914910.1098975401189.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I would really like to hear from one of the developers on this if possible. Is there one out there who can offer some insite? > > Thanks, > Pete
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

If you have Civil design on subscription you will automatically be migrated to Civil Design Professional. If you only have LDT you will have the opportunity to migrate the licenses to Civil 3D for $100.00. I would take that dead (actually I am taking that deal). I've been told that until all the modules (with the possible exception of Hydrology) are migrated to Civil 3D you will still get a "Companion" installation of LDT for that release. Talk to your reseller about what is best for you. If you still get the "We don't know" routine get a different reseller. If you subscription contract is still in effect you should be getting a letter from Autodesk explaining some of this. You could also try calling the Autodesk Business Center. Give them your subscription contract # and see if you can get anything out of them. Luck Allen "pcchenard" wrote in message news:27742373.1098989603239.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Probably not...but that's a crock. Subscriptions are due and I need to figure out how many licenses of what to keep, downgrade or ditch. I can't do that without knowing what is goig to happen with the Survey module. But then what do they care? It's in their best interest and more money in their pocket to keep me in the dark.D
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Dunc; And to think I almost skipped these last two notes in the thread. I'm impressed! A computer nerd with the gift of prose! Whooda thunk it? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D/LDT 2004 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Dunc Sargent" wrote in message news:41814b9e$1_1@newsprd01... > Not really, since we can't discuss unannounced products or schedules. > Anything we might tell you would be a guess at best, and probably not be > the > kind of data you would want to bank on. Basically, there is no product > until it gets announced. > > On another note, I wrote this poem about waiting. > > leaves that grew in spring > now fall as autumn breezes wisk > and grow again next spring > little changes do they risk > a summer then > and fall again > and spring to come once more > then my love will whisper > the words that i adore > > --dunc++ > > "pcchenard" wrote in message > news:24914910.1098975401189.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> I would really like to hear from one of the developers on this if > possible. Is there one out there who can offer some insite? >> >> Thanks, >> Pete > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report