Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey file in State Plane, aerial images in UTM?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rafaelaustin
1406 Views, 7 Replies

Survey file in State Plane, aerial images in UTM?

I've got a survey crew collection data in State Plane (TX83-SF) but the only aerial images I have are UTM83-14. This is not something I'm experienced at and I know this conversion is done all the time.

Do I set up a seperate file with the images and translate the XREF?  Is there a way to directly load the images and translate?  I've tried MAPIINSERT and MAPCONNECT but I feel like I'm missing something basic. All the posts I run across seem to talk about translating points, but I need to translate the image reference.

I'm using C3D 2012, the survey file is set to TX83-SF US Survey Foot and the Image file is set to UTM83-14 Meters US Survey Foot.

Thanks and sorry if this is a basic question.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
doni49
in reply to: rafaelaustin

The attached word document explains how we do it here.  We're in MO state plane coord system (as opposed to TX so adjust as needed).

Our "Georeference Aerial Photo" of choice is MrSID files (so if yours are different then again, adjust as needed).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 8
rafaelaustin
in reply to: doni49

Thanks for the reply. I usually attach images with MAPIINSERT, and I tried the method you describe using Connect.  But the problem I'm running into is that I have two different coordinate systems I'm working with. I'm missing something on translating from one into the other that I'm using for a base file.

Message 4 of 8
doni49

Scroll down to page 4.  There is one dwg (UTM system) in which we insert the image and another dwg (state plane system) with the drawing info.

For some reason, the screen shots are missing from the document (including the orginal from which I copied this) so I can't give them to you.  But I think it should be simple enough to follow along without them.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 8
rafaelaustin
in reply to: doni49

OK, I'll try that, thanks!

Message 6 of 8
~Opie

Message 7 of 8
rafaelaustin

Thanks, both of those methods are basically the same and work!  The attached DOC by Doni mentions making sure your units are set to Meters for the UTM. Not sure why I didn't find the BIM blog answer.

Thanks, issue resolved. Now I need to train my survey dept....

Message 8 of 8
doni49

The MrSID files metric coordinates. So the dog file needs to be in metric.

Don Ireland
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report