Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey figures - update without processing linework

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cbaildon001
1876 Views, 6 Replies

Survey figures - update without processing linework

I have imported surveydata into the survey database from FBK and processed linework. I do as many edits to my figures as I can by editing point codes and processing linework, then I fix the rest of the figures manually editing them and pushing the changes back to the survey database.

Once you have started manually editing figures you can no longer 'process linework' as you get double ups of figures you manually edited.

My issue is that I have made some adjustments to some of my control point coordinates after manually editing figures, so that all my survey points move. I try to update the survey figures so that they move with my points but Civil3D tells me that it cant update them because they were made by processing linework.

Is there anyway I can get my figures to match my points without reprocessing linework and then making all the manual edits again or exporting an FBK from the database, remove the figures and points from the dwg, reset the network and import the new FBK?

We should be able to update figures without processing linework, even if that was how the figures were originally made!

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
IanMcClain
in reply to: cbaildon001

I know what you mean by the double survey figures, I was just working on a topo where I ended up with duplicates in the drawing after edits. The way I resolved it was to delete all survey figures in the drawing and re-insert them from the database. This allowed mbe to reconcile the figures in the drawing with those in the database without re-importing data or reprocessing linework. It sounds like you need to update the network and update the figures first, since you tinkered with the control, though.

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 7
cbaildon001
in reply to: IanMcClain

Yes, that should get rid of duplicates and would work fine if the points had not been moved since I had finished processing linework and made manual edits.

But I have no idea what "Update figures" does, at least for me, because I use "process linework" to create my figures, and if you do that and then use "update figure" a message in Panaroma tells me it can't do that for figures created by "processing linework".

I would think most surveyors would use the "linework code set" commands, instead of having the figure commands on their own lines in the FBK. Autodesk need to update the "update figures" function to work with all figures no matter how they were created.

For the moment I would use either of the two options I suggested in my first post, depending on how many manual edits had been made.

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 4 of 7
BrianHailey

Not exactly sure so understand this is a guess.

When you imported the field book file (.fbk), does it contain the commands to create the linework? If so, did you toggle on the "process linework" option when importing it? If both of these are true, you'll get double linework. This is because the "process linework" command doesn't work on field book files, just the points the field book file creates. So, in escense, the field book file creates the linework and then the "process linework" creates another set of linework.

Perhaps it has something to do with this. If not, I'm sure someone else will have a better answer.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 7
cbaildon001
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks Brian.

Our FBKs don't have any commands to create linework. The 'linework code set' codes are included in the point code. When we process linework we only end up with a single set of figures, no double ups.

I just think that if 'process linework' is used then it should not prevent the user from 'updating figures' after they have finished with processing linework and have made manual edits.

I'll post it as a wish list.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 6 of 7
IanMcClain

What sort of edits are you making manually?

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 7
cbaildon001
in reply to: IanMcClain

Good question.

Common edits would be Joining figures, inserting PI's and elevation points, moving/reversing vertices.

In an ideal world, where you can survey things just how you want then I wouldn't need to but some examples of where I use manual edits are:

- If I pick up points along a figure out of order (process linework only works in point order or import order) I will manual move or reverse the vertices.

- Sometimes to help trinangultion form properly I insert Elevation Points on a figure (I could have prevented this by picking up more points in the field but I either didn't think to or it is quicker and easier to insert elevation points or the points were inaccessable).

- If I have crossing breaklines (possibly because a point was surveyed in between cross-sections - a road survey) I might Insert a PI.

- If I am joining figures from different import events and the point codes are different (eg F1 and F2) and it is quicker to join than change the codes, the two figures may have been surveyed in different directions and I want one figure not two that meet at the same point.

I'm sure the list could go on. But essentially 'process linework' is great for fixing field coding errors, manual edits are more often required for fixing things caused field procedure (either error or just practicallities imposed by circumstance).

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report