Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey figures are in 3d - HELP

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Anonymous
1671 Views, 33 Replies

Survey figures are in 3d - HELP

All of our automated linework which we bring in via .fbk files is coming in
fine with one exception. All of the linework is in 3D which results in so
many headaches and problems it's not even funny. We have the 3d geometry
set 'figure display mode' set to flatten figure to elevation but all the
figures are still importing in 3d.

Is there a toggle somewhere in the 1000's of Civil3d settings that changes
this? Please say yes as I cannot even imagine how this is supposed to work.
I fully understand the need for 3d lines and features and points when
building a surface but in terms of having them drawn in 3d for everyday use,
no way.

LDD used to bring the linework in 2d yet still maintained the ability to
convert the survey figures to breaklines that contained the 3d data
necessary for surface creation. Very simple, very clear and very concise.
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried doing what you outlined and it only works for me in LDD, when i try
the same thing in Civil 3d 2010 it doesn't work correctly.

<10acken> wrote in message news:6379609@discussion.autodesk.com...
No no no. As far as I can tell, it's working exactly as I had hoped. I've
only played with it a little bit, though. I created a couple of plines
offset 50' and have changed the elevations around on both of them, and with
the OSNAPZ set to 1 I get a distance of 50' every time, no matter how I
select them. I haven't tried it with a figure.
Message 22 of 34
10acken

Really? I am using 09, so I supposed it could be another one of those version things. Or, it could just be one of those little inexpllicable quirks that make us love this software so much.
Message 23 of 34
kbellson

Im using 2011 and having the same issue.

what is the flatten figure to elevation supposed to even do? cause it doesnt flatten anything to the elevation i set it to.

Message 24 of 34
kbellson
in reply to: kbellson

create a temp csv file for the points and drop the eleveation to 0.0 for all points

bring them into a junk database and copy out your figures out.

sometimes it seems like its 10 steps forward and 12 steps back

Message 25 of 34
kbellson

added bonus for exploding a figure that was created from 0 elevation points is that the curves dont segment.

i guess thats a plus?

Message 26 of 34
Nrhoads

SAME PROBLEM HERE.  I know this is an old thread but I just moved to C3d 2013 and I can't get "flatten to elevation" in the style to do anything .I tried setting it to zero, 100 and even tried the "exaggerate"  option with 2 and nothing changes the elevation I get from an "ID" of a point on any figures in my drawing. It always gives the same elevation. Exaggerate and flatten are STILL NOT WORKING!

Any other solutions besides "osnapz"???

Message 27 of 34
IanMcClain
in reply to: Nrhoads

I can verify that it works in 2010 and 2012. A couple of things to check:

-Check that your figures have the correct style applied: you may have a flatten to elevation style that is not applied to your figures yet.

-Check your figure prefix database to insure that it is applying the correct style for new figures that are imported.

Ian McClain
Message 28 of 34
Nrhoads
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thanks but...

I only use the "standard" style for all figures and that style is set to flatten figures to elevation zero in my template. I have the figure prefix database put each figure on its proper layer depending on the field description and on put all figures on the standard style. That way I don't have to mess with layers, and styles for figures, which gets confusing. I cant see a use for figure styles really, except for one style for all figures. Maybe you could enlighten me why that would be useful...

Anyway, I was able to change the standard style in 2008 and any pick on a figure would give the desired zero elevation. I could go in and change the style to use figure elevations and a pick on a figure would then show the elevations at the elevation drawn.

Seems like a bug to me.Am I missing something?

Message 29 of 34
kbellson

The only way i am able to have flat figures is:

1 copy your csv file and rename it.

2 open the new csv file and chage all your elevations to 0

3 save the file

4 start a new junk survey database in a different junk project

5 import your new csv

6 wblock out your figures

7 insert into real drawing

it sucks but it works

Message 30 of 34
IanMcClain

I may not be following the current thread discussion closely enough. I'm not sure what happend when I explode figures. I was addressing the orignal issue of figures not displaying on zero elevation.

I only use two styles: flattened (defualt) and at elevation. Both use bylayer color and linetype. At elevation can be usefull when you are doing surface edits and creating points.

Ian McClain
Message 31 of 34
IanMcClain

You should not need to do all that. If changing the style to flatten elevation to zero is not working I'd report it to Autodesk.

Ian McClain
Message 32 of 34
Nrhoads

I think some folks want to be able to "deliver" cad files in 2d to clients that do not need elevations on figure lines, polylines, etc.. I guess that's why they are exploding figures and importing junk files with no elevation.

That's NOT what my problem is. I just need to be able to get a DISTANCE from a 2d property line to a fence, edge of asphalt, etc without the distance command returning 999.999 feet when it's only a foot away. I'm exaggerating here, but you see my point 🙂 The osnapz variable is ok for a workaround and I have a lisp routine for it to toggle on or off but why does the style have the option to "FLATTEN TO ELEVATION" and "EXAGGERATE ELEVATION" if those options do not work?

I plan on submitting a support request and a bug submission. I was just trying to see if anyone else knew why this is happening. Any other ideas or reasons for this?

Message 33 of 34
IanMcClain

Have you tried the CGLIST command?

Ian McClain
Message 34 of 34
Nrhoads

Thanks, I didn't think about using CGLIST. I also tried an AutoCAD dimension and it worked too.

I would prefer the "faltten" and "exaggerate" options in the figure style editor to work though above all. I submitted a support request and that will probably lead to a bug submission.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report