Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey database and UDPs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
stacy.dunn
334 Views, 5 Replies

Survey database and UDPs

How can you import additional data into a survey database so that you can utilize the user defined properties? I am familiar with the proceedures when not in the database, but I cannot find out how to modify a field book so that the additional data is imported into the correct UDP.
Stacy Dunn
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: stacy.dunn

You could try the Survey Data Collection Link, that's where I have modified field books before but it has been a while.
Message 3 of 6
ctbailey

Hi Stacy:

The only "batch" method of getting UDP information for survey points into the the Survey Database is through the use of an ASCII file or LandXML.

The .FBK does not have the capability of attaching additional attributes beyond a shot description.

With the new linework coding, you could use an ASCII file to import the survey points with UDPs, and still do some automatic linework. You just will not have the raw field observations.

What I have been doing is adding the UDP information to the handful of survey shots "by hand." I will create a survey point group, and then work in the list view to add the additional information, like tree diameter, tree species, etc.

Hope that sheds some light

Craig Bailey
stacy.dunn

That was what I was looking for. Thanks.
Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 6
surveyor8120

An additional question for this post.

I have also used UDPs on the drawing side.  I have been able to import UDP data after I have brought in points from data base.  I create a text file withe the point number and then the udps.  On the import It will ask me to ovewirte or merge, because of the duplicate point number.  I am able to merge them and it add the UDP data. 

I have recently been trying to do this in the survey data base and have not been able to get it to work in the same mannor.  I import an ascii file and it goes thur the motions, but does not add any data to the UDPs i created in the survey database.  It does not prompt me to merge or overwrite data.  I am assuming that it wont let me add additonal UDP data to the existing points in the database.  I am assuming I will have to add it when I bring in my data originally.  Which I won't be able to, unless I change my procedures, because I bring in most of my data a .fbk files.

So I am wondering if I am missing something?  Is it possible for me to bring in a seperate ascii file with just point number and UDPs to my exisiting points in the survey database, like I can do in a drawing?

Anthony Robinson, PLS, CFEDS
CRW Engineering Group, LLC
Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7 Prof. x64 SP1
Dell Workstation
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
870 @ 2.93GHz
16.00 GB RAM
Message 6 of 6
ctbailey
in reply to: surveyor8120

The LandXML import procedures into a Survey Database were always slightly more robust.  Your only hope to after-the-fact add UDP information to previously brought in survey data that orignally came in as a filedbook is to use XML.

I'm not saying it will work, nor do I know how you would go about creating the XML file with the similar point numbers, with your desired UDP.

You might be asking too much of the Survey Database.  It has a hard enough time processing traditional ground survey data in the polar format. 

One thing you might want to consider, albeit less than ideal... is to run two survey databases; one for actual ground data which was populated by field work, this one you would use to reduce and balance the work, and to serve as the central repository of "Survey" data.  The second SurveyDatabase could be populated by coordinate data only, fed through the XML method.  This secondary database could be considered the "GIS" database - the one that holds the extended data.  In my office the "extended data" could contain Utility Pole information, Sewer Inverts, Drainage inverts, house numbers, tree species data, etc.   If you really paid attention, you could populate drawings from each database for the specified information needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report