Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Points not updating after browse to observation and edit

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
IanMcClain
940 Views, 12 Replies

Survey Points not updating after browse to observation and edit

In 2012, the survey cogo points no longer seem to update after browsing to the observation data, making an edit and then saving. It worked fine in 2010. Anyone else running into this?

Ian McClain
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
SethHall
in reply to: IanMcClain

Could you please be a little more specific with your description of the issue? Are you unlocking the points from a survey database, then editing them from the "edit points"?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 13
IanMcClain

Here is what I'm doing:

1.Select a cogo point created from a survey database import event, specifically an .FBK file with total station data.

2.Right click and select "Browse to Observation Data"

3.In the panorama vista change a "Target Height" for one or more points.

4.Save the changes and dismiss the panorama vista.

Normally this would update the elevation of the point in my drawing, but this is not happening for me in 2012. Changes to a point description update like normal, though.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 13
SethHall
in reply to: SethHall

Once the points are in the drawing did you try unlocking them before making the edits?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 13
IanMcClain

No, normally I never do that. Once you unlock a point it disconnects it from the Survey Database and edits to the database will not get pushed into the drawing. I just tested it and the point became a simple cogo point and right-cllicking no longer gives the option to browse to survey data. See attached.

Scale factor is not being pushed to the drawing points either. In the second attached pick I've changed the scale factor for all points and the targed height for point 9146. You can see the survey preview lines in green staking out the calculated positions for the points landing short of the initial points imported with a scale factor of one.

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 13
SethHall

If you made changes to the survey database, then reinserted the points, do the elevation now show the changes you made?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 7 of 13
IanMcClain

No, they do not. If I check the points listed in the survey database they don't show any different change in elevation, despite target height edits. It's as if there is a disconnect between the survey observations and the point coordinates in the survey database. The only way I can see to update it is to delete the import event, edit the FBK and make a new import event. I wanted to avoid doing that, since I've already made edits to descriptions, but I'll just have to copy those into the FBK as well.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 13
SethHall

Are you saving to the survey database from the observation editor?

forum.png

I tested this using the FBK shipped with the tutorial files and change the height to something rediculous like 50.00'. After saving the change back to the database, then resinserting the points, the elevation was updated.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 9 of 13
IanMcClain

I am saving.  I'll test on a co-workers machine.

Ian McClain
Message 10 of 13
IanMcClain

Tested on a coworkers machine with 2012 and got the same result: point elevation is not updating.

Ian McClain
Message 11 of 13
SethHall

Would you be willing to put the FBK up here for us to look at?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 12 of 13
IanMcClain

Sure. Import the HV1.pts and HV2.pts files (PNEZD comman delimited) and then the T9 (rename to .fbk, had to change for attachment to forum). Make a check to a target height using browse to survey observations and see if it updates the elevation.

I'm using C3D 2012 sp2, Win7 64bit, FYI.

Ian McClain
Message 13 of 13
IanMcClain

Eureka!

The problem is that the Survey Network and Survey Points needed to be updated. Fortunately those can both be set to "Automatic Updated". Unfortunately my drawing crashes as soon as the network and survey points are refreshed.

Bah!!

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report