Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Import Event Empty

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Cadguru42
1121 Views, 8 Replies

Survey Import Event Empty

This is a strange one that's causing me problems. I have some new survey points in a CSV file that I want to import into my survey database. When I import the file the points show up, the linework won't process, and under the import event there are no figures and no points. The points are listed in the database under Survey Points, but not under the import event. When I try to process the linework for the event there is nothing to create because the event is empty. I can't process the linework for the entire database because of the edits that have been done over the past few months. 

I tried refreshing the database, then I closed the database and opened it again to see if it would refresh, but it didn't. I have attached a screenshot showing the import event being empty, but the points are listed in the overall point list and in the drawing, but no linework. I also included the CSV file in the screenshot so that you can see the import event was based on that CSV file. What is going on? How can I get C3D to process this import event and actually list the points & figures in the import event?

I'm beginning to really hate C3D. </frustrated>

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
stacy.dunn
in reply to: Cadguru42

Did you check your settings for processing linework when you imported the file?  You can manually process it by right clicking on the database and choose "Process linework".  If your linecodes match your current linework code set, it should create figures.

Stacy Dunn
Message 3 of 9
Cadguru42
in reply to: stacy.dunn

@stacy.dunn wrote:

Did you check your settings for processing linework when you imported the file?  You can manually process it by right clicking on the database and choose "Process linework".  If your linecodes match your current linework code set, it should create figures.

Yes, I've made sure to process the linework. The reason it won't is because something is fouling it up where the import event is empty, therefore there are no points to process. As I explained earlier I cannot process the entire survey database as there have been many manual edits to the figures over many months. Normally, I just import the CSV and have it process the linework for just that event. That's what's not working for this one as the import event is empty. 

EDIT: My attachment in the original post has a red circle around the import event. You can see that there are no points in it, yet the full list of points below it show the points from the CSV and they are also in the drawing. How can an import event be empty, yet the same import brings in the points?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 9
stacy.dunn

Have you tried importing the points into a different database or drawing?  Could you post the point file?

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 9
Cadguru42
in reply to: stacy.dunn

@stacy.dunn wrote:

Have you tried importing the points into a different database or drawing?  Could you post the point file?

I just tried importing the file into another database and the same thing happened. The import event is empty, but the points are added to the overall point listing. Here's a screenshot showing it. The only points that have ever been added to this database are from this file.

survey_import_event_empty2.png

I tried restarting C3D and doing it all over again, and the file still creates an empty import event. I have attached the CSV file that is causing the issue.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 9
stacy.dunn

I was able to import the file into a database.  We typically import our points into a drawing first and then add the points to a database if needed.  Im not sure if this method will fix your problem.

Stacy Dunn
Message 7 of 9
IanMcClain

Works in 2012 for me.

Are you on the latest service pack? If not, I'd try installing that. If it still doesn't clear up I would report it to Autodesk so they know about it and can fix it.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 9
Cadguru42

This is getting even more bizarre. I went to another computer in the office to try and see what happens when I import the CSV into the test database. On the other computer, I used the out-of-the-box template, opened the test database for editing, then imported the CSV. The import event worked as expected, showing the points and creating the figures in the test database. I then deleted the import event and close the drawing without saving. 

I created a new drawing using our main survey template, opened my project database, then imported the CSV. The points were inserted into the drawing, and only the first point was listed in the import event and no figures, but the overall survey point list for the project database listed all the points. So, instead of a completely empty import event, there was a single point (#4009) and no figures created. I deleted the import event and created a new drawing using a different template. I did the exact same steps as before, with a different drawing template, and the import event had the figures and points listed with it. 

So now I'm thinking my normal survey template, which hasn't changed in months, is causing the import to be messed up. But that makes no sense as the survey database isn't tied to a drawing. It also doesn't make any sense because the main survey.dwg that I've been using for over a year (and shown in the first post using the same template) has never had any of these problems until now. 

To check if it's the template, I just created a blank, new drawing using my survey template. I imported the CSV into my test survey database and the empty import event is still there. Next, I deleted the import event (which incidently is deleting all the points even from the master point list) and created a new drawing using the same different template as I used on the other computer (where it worked). I then imported the CSV and the import event is still blank. So, no matter what template I use on my computer, this CSV creates an empty import event, but on my boss' computer if I use an older template it worked. Oh, and when I tried repeating the same steps that worked on my boss' computer a second time, it didn't work.

I'm going to create a SR for this because I really need this working correctly. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 9
Cadguru42

My problem fixed itself apparently on Monday. The only thing I can come up with is that there was a network hiccup that lasted for three days, then went away on Monday morning. 

I won't name names, but the support person who handled this doesn't understand much. He actually told me yesterday, "Survey Data-bases located on the network. The design intent of Survey Data-bases in Civil 3D are to be worked on from the local C: drive."

I wonder why the help file has an explicit page dedicated to information about using a survey database on a network? 

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-2B04584B-AC03-487D-A52C-1D6FC8EB2832.htm

If C3D is truly designed to have a survey database only on a local drive then C3D has been designed without any idea of project management from the get-go and has been misleading their customers. How is a designer supposed to get the survey points and figures? Are the surveyors required to give a copy of the database everytime they up date it to a designer, who then has to make sure their local copy is the most up to date? How is someone else supposed to make a surface using a survey query if the database may or may not be the most up to date? 

I was also told by this Autodesk representative not to use a custom template with C3D 2014 SP1 as there are apparently a lot of known issues with custom templates and styles with SP1. It was recommended that I uninstall C3D 2014 from all our computers, reinstall it and not install SP1 if we want to use custom templates. Why would a service pack, that's intended to fix problems, cause problems with the fundamental way the software has been marketed and used for almost a decade? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report