Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Database & Figure Prefix Database Question

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Cadguru42
1011 Views, 5 Replies

Survey Database & Figure Prefix Database Question

We've got an issue that I don't quite know how to address.  I've setup our figure prefix database to include underground electric (coded as UGE) for when our surveyors know where the UGE is.  However, they sometimes will shoot a power pole where it goes underground do not know where it goes from there.  On that code they put in PP ST UGE (if it's the beginning of the overhead lines) or PP END UGE if it's the beginning of the underground.   They will then go and do more shots and if they happen to find another power pole where it drops underground, they'll code it again like I stated previously. 

The problem is that the survey database will create a figure between the UGEs, even without a start and end code.  This made me realize that any code listed in the figure prefix database will always have a figure drawn even if there is no start or end code.  I've told our surveyors for now to erase the unneeded figures from the database after it's been imported since there aren't that many for us in a project.  I would have thought that without the start and end code that a figure wouldn't be drawn automatically, but that isn't happening.  I don't want to have to delete the UGE or whatever else figure code I don't want linework generated for and then recreate it again for another project.  Is there a way to keep figure codes in the prefix database but not have the linework for certain codes automated on import?   How do you survey guys handle this type of situation?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
csummers
in reply to: Cadguru42

you can correct this with the option in the Linework Code Set called “Automatic begin on figure prefix match”, and we need to have it set to off.  This will then only generate line work through points that have figure codes set.

Message 3 of 6
Sinc
in reply to: Cadguru42

Yeah, this is a bit annoying...

Autodesk sort-of fixed it in 2011.  In the Linework Code Sets, you can turn off the option for "Automatic begin on figure prefix match".  This way, you will get NO figures drawn at all without an explicit B (Begin).

This doesn't do what I wish it did...  I wish Autodesk had made it behave more like the FBK used to, where the Figure would be drawn if there was a Figure identifier, and no Figure if the Figure identifier was missing (e.g., if I have a Figure Code "EOC", then points with codes like "EOC1" will create figures, but points coded "EOC" will not).  So you have to get your field guys used to always using that B (Begin) code.  But if they can remember that, it works OK.

Figure_AutoBegin.png

Sinc
Message 4 of 6
Cadguru42
in reply to: Sinc

Thanks guys!  I didn't remember seeing this when I first started with the linework codes in 2010, so I guess this is another one of those undocumented changes.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 6
stacy.dunn
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc,

Would you be able to get the functionality you want by changing the figure prefix EOC to EOC1?  The crews would then be able to code a point with EOC and then linework with EOC1, EOC12, EOC13 and so on.

Stacy Dunn
Message 6 of 6
Sinc
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Well, that would prevent Field Crews from being able to use "EOC2", "EOC3", etc.  I wouldn't want to do that to the field crews.

We thought of trying to create "special versions" of our Point Codes that would not draw figures, but it was too much of a mess.  Instead, I've just been hammering into the guys that they need to always use that "B" code if they want a figure drawn.  So far, it seems to be working, since the field guys tended to already use the "B" anyway.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report