Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Data w/ feature/attributes import

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
465 Views, 3 Replies

Survey Data w/ feature/attributes import

My .job file that is created in the data collector has a .fea file attached to it to label curb types, comments, sidewalk materials, tree types and sizes, sign info and general comments and labels for certain description keys.

This info is removed from the .rw5 file after conversion to a .fbk, also when I attempt to open my .job in my Survey Link

it is not recognized.

My question is.  How do I get this info to come into my drawing on Civil 3D?

Thanks for any help.

Josh

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
_Hathaway
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't say for certain but you are probably going to have to convert/export your original files to a shape file (.SHP)  with attributes and then import the SHP files into Civil3d.  There are probably some other bells and whistles to be wary of on the import.

We use features as you described with our GPS, and these features are always exported via a SHP file for input into GIS software. 

Message 3 of 4
Sinc
in reply to: _Hathaway

Civil 3D can't use data in that format.  The SHP files are only recognized by Map3D, and Map3d and C3D don't talk to each other, despite having both in the same executable.

The only way I know of to import anything like that in C3D is to create a custom Point File Format in C3D, coupled with Description Keys.  But it's fraught with problems, if you want to do anything very complex.  You can use your Description Keys to do things like scale tree symbols, or rotate symbols like single-post signs.  But anything more complex involves creating custom User Defined Properties with matching Point File Formats, and rapidly becomes so convoluted that it's not worth it for most users.  You can do it if you have to, but it can turn into something of a nightmare, unless your field crews are pretty strong with computers (or you're a one-man shop, and you know how to use C3D as well as your field equipment, and do everything yourself).

Sinc
Message 4 of 4
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

Check out the solution to this post: Getting TDS RAW Survey Attributes into Civil 3D

It sounds like you could use User Defined Properties to bring in the info from your .fea file.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report