Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survet Points Disappear after Importing Field Books.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
plazio
1174 Views, 10 Replies

Survet Points Disappear after Importing Field Books.

I’ve run into an issue with importing survey data using field books. 

I started by importing my primary control using a field book.  There were no issues with importing these points.  I then proceeded to import subsequent field books with additional control and then topographic mapping.  In the last field book some points were accidentally overwritten due to an error in the field collection.  No error message was given to let me know the survey points were in use and being overwritten.  Luckily I caught the error before I proceeded to the next field book. 

I tried to reimport the field book that originally created the points that were overwritten.  At that point C3D told me that the points being occupied in the field book did not exist.  I checked the point list for the primary control field book under the "Import Events" in the Survey Tab of the Toolspace and indeed the points in question were no longer listed.

I then proceeded to reimport all the field books in order, starting with the primary control.  I got through several of field books before C3D again told me the point being occupied did not exist.  This despite the fact that this same point was occupied in previous field books.  After trying once again I was able to get through the field books.

What am I missing?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
_Hathaway
in reply to: plazio

Hard to say what your missing or what Civil3d thinks is missing.  This is one of the reasons we abandoned field book files altogether and only import text files.  We use the data collection software for any field data analysis and export a PNEZD text file for importing into Civil3d.

Message 3 of 11
IanMcClain

Your not missing anything. This is broken in 2012, don't know about 2011. It worked in 2010. I've submitted the issue to autodesk but haven't heard anything yet. I would suggest you do the same, if only to let them know it's an issue many users encounter.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 11
plazio
in reply to: _Hathaway

>> This is one of the reasons we abandoned field book files altogether and only import text files.  We use the data collection software for any field data analysis and export a PNEZD text file for importing into Civil3d.<<

How then do you import the linework that is shot in the field?

Message 5 of 11
_Hathaway

Its all in the setup of Civil3d and how you code data in the field. Short version: When you import the .txt or .csv file into Civil3d through the survey database you must ensure that the process linework box is checked. Civil3d will create linework for points that use codes you have setup in the figure prefix database.

Message 6 of 11
jmayo-EE

I'd like to bump this up as I am having similar issues. We typically work with txt file but have been given a few field book files and a txt control file for a project.

If we edit a field book the points don't update. If we reprocess the fieldbook we get invalid point number errors. This seems odd since the point numbers in the field book do not seem to be used and numbering starts at the counter.

Does anyone have any insight for me with these fbk's?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
IanMcClain

In 2012(11?)+ the fbk will delete control setup and backsight points even if they were not created by that fbk. So you must reimport fbk, get error, reimport control, then reimport the fbk.

John, when you say numbering starts at the counter, have you checked the point import settings? There is an option to ignore numbers supplied by the file. That sounds like what you are experiencing.
Ian McClain
Message 8 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Another way that you could work around the fbk issue is to open the fbk file in Survey Link, and convert the FBK File to a pnezd (ascii), and import as normal.

This works as long as you dont have to do any closure adjustments.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
mikes
in reply to: rl_jackson

I use fileldbook file to get on the coordinate base that i want and to get linework based on the method we have always used. It is not easy to teach the field crews new tricks. They are making this software very survey unfriendly.

Message 10 of 11
IanMcClain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I just found out if I enter an offest number, say for a range of overlapping point numbers, it tries to add the offset to my foresight and backsight. That should not be.

Ian McClain
Message 11 of 11
bixlert

Try this work-around for the problem. Create a separate Network for the control file and each fieldbook file. This should prevent the control points from being deleted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report