Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces Not Updating

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
RyanMach
5429 Views, 15 Replies

Surfaces Not Updating

I am having a problem with my data shortcuts for my surfaces not updating. I have 2 surfaces (one ex and one prop) both are on auto-rebuild.  Both of them are in separate files and data short cutted into my profiles files (I have one for water, one sewer and a third for storm drains). Any time I make a change whether I add or subtract data the file the data does not update in the profiles. As a work around I have been creating a new data short cut and adding it to my profiles files. What am I doing wrong that would make them not update?

I did a search but could not find anything that came close to the issue I am having but if I missed it I apologize.

Thanks for your time.

Ryan

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: RyanMach

Are you saving the file once you make modifications to the surface, then once you save and you switch to the file containing the data shortcut surface, you should get a notification in the lower right hand corner to synchronize the data shortcut. Also within the prospector the surface being referenced will have a yellow shield notify you the surface has changed and needs to be synced.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 16
BrianHailey

Are you creating profiles from the data referenced surfaces or are you data referencing the surface profiles. If you have an intermediate drawing, you have to update that as well.

For example, I have a surface from Drawing A referenced into Drawing B. In Drawing B, I have the Drawing A surface pasted into another surface. I then reference that Drawing B surface into Drawing C. If I make changes to the Drawing A surface, I have to open and then save Dawing B before I'll see the changes in Drawing C.

Hope that makes sense.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 16
tmino

Assuming you don't have a complex nesting of data shortcuts and/or XREFs, as Steve said once you save your surface files, you should see a bubble pop up in the lower right corner of your profile files informing you that you need to synchronize your data references.

I have, however, encountered times when this bubble has not appeared.  In that case, after you save your surface files, go to the Manage ribbon tab in your open profile file and click "Synchronize References."

Note that this will update all data references in your drawing, and if you have a lot, it's a good time saver to navigate to the specific data referenced surface in your Prospector, right click on it, and select Synchronize from that menu.  This will synchronize the specific object.

If this doesn't work, then as a likely too obvious question, have you promoted your surfaces into your profile drawing or exploded your profiles?

Message 5 of 16
RyanMach

Thanks for all of the help.  I am getting the icon (the bubble is not showing up) in the lower right to sychronize but when i right click it is greyed out.  Manualy sychronizing the reference through the manage ribbon has helped for one of my surfaces(ex) but not the other one(prop).  Even after sychronizing i still have the shield on both.  Both have been promoted and nothing has been exploded.

Ryan

Message 6 of 16
troma

Do you know what promoting a surface means?  It means that the surface is now saved in the current drawing, not a data shortcut anymore.  So the link is lost; it has no connection to the original surface.

Rule of thumb: never never never never promote.  (Unless you really really want to, of course Smiley Wink )

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 16
RyanMach

Yes I know what it means to promote.  How else would I get grades for the profiles?  my problem is the surfaces are not updating when i make a change to them.

Message 8 of 16
troma

Excuse me, but I don't think you do know what it means to promote.  You certainly don't need to promote to profile the surface.  And promoting will stop the surface from ever updating again.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 16
RyanMach

By promoting I mean creating a data referance.  This is the way I was taught to add data from 1 file to another.  Was I taught wrong?

Message 10 of 16
troma

OK, so I think we're just confusing terminology, not methodology.  Data shortcut, create reference is great (aka a dref).

After you have created a reference (e.g. your surface) in the host drawing, right click on the surface in the Prospector and you will see an option "Promote".  Don't click on that!  'Promote' means to copy the surface to the current drawing.  It can be useful on occasion, for example you want to email the drawing to someone.  If surfaces are dreffed, they won't get them.  So you copy the drawing first and promote all data references.  That's fine.  But if you promote in your current drawing, you have a copy of the surface in that drawing, so it will never update again.

So, I guess you probably didn't promote them?  But it's worth checking, since the problem you're having sounds like it could be that.  So when you look at the surfaces in the Prospector, do they have a little 'shortcut' arrow on them?  That means they are a shortcut, which is what you want.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 16
RyanMach
in reply to: troma

Nothing has been promoted like you explained and everything has a shortcut icon.  I have attached the plan view and profile to show what i am talking about.  In the plan view the area clouded was added to my surface but on the profile that area is not being drawn.

Message 12 of 16
troma

Does the clouded area show up in plan in the profile drawing?

Try deleting the profile and drawing it again.  Not the whole profile view, just the one profile.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 16
jmayo-EE

If you select the profile do you see a autocad grips on all of the segment endpoints? If so this indicates that the profile lost it's link to the surface and you would need to resample the surface profile.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
RyanMach
in reply to: troma

Yes the clouded area shows up in the profile drawing.  Tryed drawing just the one profile with no luck.  I also tryed drawing a whole new profile from scratch and that seemed to work. really weird and frustrating.

Message 15 of 16
clicker10

GOT IT!  I keep the properties thingy open.  If you select the surface in your profile view, there is an option to choose either static or dynamic updating.  Whaalaa!!

Message 16 of 16
tgicam

What version of Civil 3D are you using?  I sounds like the same issue we had with 2013 and 2014SP1.  We would dref the surface and dref the alignment and then sample the drefed surface (not dref the surface profile).  We had to toggle the profile from dynamic to static and back again to get the profile to update when the surface changed to get it to update.  At first is seemed like drawings that were created with older versions (2011) of C3D and saved as 2013.  2014 SP2 appear to have fixed this iussue.

Craig

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report