Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces - Boundaries vs Deleting Lines

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Steenix
2049 Views, 14 Replies

Surfaces - Boundaries vs Deleting Lines

After adding countless "hide" boundaries to the outer edges of my surface where I don't want to see triangles, I finally discovered the "delete lines" surface edit. I absolutely love it, but I don't want to just rush forth and only use that command from now on before doing a bit of research.

I haven't found anything that suggests using one method over the other - has anyone experienced otherwise? This just seems too good to be true.

Thanks in advance,

Austin

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
johngordon6189
in reply to: Steenix

why not generate a closed polyline that crosses all the lines that you don't want to see and make that a boundary? That would save you the time of having to add multiple boundaries or performing a lot of extra edits to the surface. John
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 3 of 15
neilyj666

If you are talking about the triangles that span across concave area at the outer boundary of the surface then deleting lines is the way to go. There are other techniques for other situations as well e.g adding a hide boundary and then adding show boundaries. In your situation I'd delete the extraneous lines until the outer boundary was correct and then I would extract that boundary. Then go into the surface definition and delete all the edits that deleted lines. Then add the surface boundary back as an outer boundary. This keeps the surface definition clean.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 15
sboon
in reply to: neilyj666

Why not just use an outer boundary?  That's what they're for.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

This can be a speedy technique in certain circumstances - as I mentioned there are a few techniques that work.

Additionally the max triangle constraint can also work but with mixed results sometimes.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
jmayo-EE

"This keeps the surface definition clean."

I agree with Neil. A large number of surface edits are cumbersome to manage in a surface definition. Most of them will be outdated at some point (red warning icon in surface definition, order of operations list), remain in the surface & be still computed with every rebuild...even if there is no data to perform the edit. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

There is also the max triangle method but that can leave holes in a surface. Show the surface borders in the style to see if interior holes get created.

http://www.civil4d.com/2010/01/max-triangle-length-to-make-srf-bndy/

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
mathewkol

And don't forget the new max angle setting. It works pretty well in many situations.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 15
Steenix

@neilyj666 wrote:
If you are talking about the triangles that span across concave area at the outer boundary of the surface then deleting lines is the way to go. There are other techniques for other situations as well e.g adding a hide boundary and then adding show boundaries. In your situation I'd delete the extraneous lines until the outer boundary was correct and then I would extract that boundary. Then go into the surface definition and delete all the edits that deleted lines. Then add the surface boundary back as an outer boundary. This keeps the surface definition clean.

This is a fantastic idea! I can't believe I'd never thought of it.

Thank you everyone for all your input, I really appreciate it. You guys are great!

Message 10 of 15
Steenix

@jmayo wrote:

There is also the max triangle method but that can leave holes in a surface. Show the surface borders in the style to see if interior holes get created.

http://www.civil4d.com/2010/01/max-triangle-length-to-make-srf-bndy/

I very briefly tried using max triangle length edits, but I am working on a rather large surface for a subdevelopment so it ended up creating some nasty holes. Thanks for the tip, though!

Message 11 of 15
wendyloui

I delete lines when I have just a few.  It's a little quicker and I don't have to worry about some deleting my boundary line, especially if there are only a few areas that are a problem.  If I use one boundary line for the outer boundary I make sure that I use "non-distructive breaklines" and I try to be careful about the layer that the boundary is on.  I make sure that I'm using the "outer" boundary type.  I use "hide" boundaries for interior areas where I don't want contours or elevation data to show up.

Wendy

Message 12 of 15
Joe-Bouza

I use a solid display style and play with the number till Im close ( usually is good enough) sometimes Ill extract that boundary, tweak it and add it back for the final

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
jmayo-EE

While we're on the topic, if u get holes in the surface, extract the boundaries and add all of the interior 3d plines as show boundaries for a very quick fix.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
neilyj666

This is a great tip

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
jmayo-EE

Thanks Neil. HTH

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report