Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface slope

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rajeshpatnaik2001
1992 Views, 12 Replies

Surface slope

Hello,

I use Civil 3D 2011 and I am new to it.
I have created a natural ground surface from survey points. Now i want to create a finished surface with a specific slope in a specific direction at a specific elevation and then to calculate cut and fill volume.
I can create a flat surface at a specific elevation. Please let me know how to tilt this surface to a specific slope along a specific direction.

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

use featurelines and offset as required

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13

Please explain me in little detail with steps.

My design surface is like the red polygon shown in the picture attached and the direction of slope is marked by the green arrow. Thanks.

Surface

Message 4 of 13

As the saying goes... there are many ways to skin a cat...

ignoring what the outline is, one can assume a uniform grade accross the whole object. In this case you could:
1. draw a FL from corner to corner as your green arrow shows (Point A-B, at the designed slope.
2. offset the FL beyound the figure on either side at zero slope
3. make a temp surface of the 3 FL
4. make a FL of yhe red outline ( in a different site) then extract the elevations fron the temp surf to youe verts

OR
assuming non-uniform across the shape
1. same as above
2. make red FL (in same site)
3. use elevation tool to run grade alon red FL from A-B
Or...many ways

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13

or Jeff_M has written a great application that will create a working plane based on 2 or 3 points , google working plane civil 3D

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 6 of 13

Joe-Bouza wrote:
As the saying goes... there are many ways to skin a cat...

ignoring what the outline is, one can assume a uniform grade accross the whole object. In this case you could:
1. draw a FL from corner to corner as your green arrow shows (Point A-B, at the designed slope.
2. offset the FL beyound the figure on either side at zero slope
3. make a temp surface of the 3 FL
4. make a FL of yhe red outline ( in a different site) then extract the elevations fron the temp surf to youe verts

I tried, it works fine. Thanks! 🙂

Now, when I create the surface, i notice that the border (yellow colour) of the surface is bigger than the surface area (red colour) which i used to create the surface.

surface1.JPG

I use a much bigger natural surface as the base surface and use this new surface as the comparison surface to calculate my cut and fill volume. In the panarama, i get the cut volume and fill volume.

Now my question is:
1. The cut volume and fill volume i see in the panarama are the cut and fill volume of the area bounded by yellow or it is the cut and fill volume of the area bounded by original red polygon?
Actually my requirement is to get the cut and fill volume of the area bounded by my original red polygon.

2. How to get a report of this volume analysis in an external file?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 13

For display purposes, you can add the red line as a 'outer' boundary to your surface (look in the surface definition tree).

Similarly, to be sure you are getting exactly what you want - get the bounded volume (right click the volume surface to see this option), i.e. the volume bounded by the outline you select.

To output the analysis - go to your volumes dashboard, add your volume surface, then select the 'generate cut/fill report' icon at the top of the window.

Regards

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 8 of 13
troma
in reply to: autoMick

I would have used a modified version of Joe's:
2. offset the FL beyond the figure on either side at zero slope
3. make a surface of the 3 FL
4. make a closed polyline of the red outline.
5. add polyline as a 'non-destructive' boundary.

You can still add that boundary now, which will restrict your surface and the volumes to only the area in question.

Note: there is no "Volumes Dashboard" in 2011. But you said you had the report in the panorama figured out. So you can just click the fourth button from the left: "Export volume entries to file". This will create an .xml which can be opened and saved as a spreadsheet.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 13

I tried both the methods mentioned by Mike and Troma, both works fine. Thanks a lot!

I use Civil 3D 2011 and there is no volume dashboard in it. It has Composite Volumes in Panorama where I see the cut and fill volume. There is no button for "Export volume entries to file". So, I think generating a report to an external file is not possible in Civil 3D 2011.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 13

There is no need to make a new pline for the border. If the red feature line is closed just use that feature line as the border also.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 13

Right Click in the Composite Volumes Panorama and Copy All, then Paste to Excel

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
troma
in reply to: rajeshpatnaik2001

Here: (screenshot taken in 2011). 

Export Volume Entries to file.png

BTW, with the border, I was assuming it was originally drawn as a pline, not a fline.  So I was trying to save a step in conversion.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 13 of 13

An dynamic average end area calc can be performed within the dwg using materials and a takeoff. A dynamic table can also be saved in a dwg.

Search Civil 3D compute materials in Help, YouTube or Google for more.

Also note that you may want to consider doing the volume calc in a different dwg with data references to your EG and FG surfaces if you will be plotting cross sections.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report