Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface memory size

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
diegoal
408 Views, 4 Replies

Surface memory size

Hello guys,

How can I know the memory size of a TIN or DEM surface? I have a very dense points data to create a surface and I would like to test what option would be the best: simplify the surface removing points or make it raster...

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: diegoal

One option would be to create the surface in a new, clean drawing.  Then data shortcut in the surface to your project files.  This will keep your drawing file sizes to a minimum and your memory usage down.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 5
troma
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

You could also copy the drawing with nothing but the surface in it and test the different methods of reducing the file size.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 5
seattlesurvey
in reply to: diegoal

Also, remember that the drawing size will be impacted by the surface style in use when last saved.  For example, your saved drawing will be smaller if the surface style is a "No Display" style versus a style which displays contours and TIN lines.

HTH.

Message 5 of 5
diegoal
in reply to: seattlesurvey

Thanks guys, what you are suggesting can indicate the proportional impact of each surface... and maybe it should be good enough.

But I was expecting to calculate the TIN memory size by the number of triangles and its size in bytes vs the number of pixels and its size in bytes. So I guess I should write a VB code to be able to get the number of triangles (TIN) and valid pixels (DEM).

Isn't this the memory size of these ARX objects?

Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report