AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
diegoal
Message 1 of 5 (173 Views)

Surface memory size

173 Views, 4 Replies
12-11-2012 06:21 AM

Hello guys,

How can I know the memory size of a TIN or DEM surface? I have a very dense points data to create a surface and I would like to test what option would be the best: simplify the surface removing points or make it raster...

Thanks!

Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer - www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2013 / 2014 / 2015 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GT 630
*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 2 of 5 (168 Views)

Re: Surface memory size

12-11-2012 06:46 AM in reply to: diegoal

One option would be to create the surface in a new, clean drawing.  Then data shortcut in the surface to your project files.  This will keep your drawing file sizes to a minimum and your memory usage down.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 3 of 5 (166 Views)

12-11-2012 06:54 AM in reply to: TRogers

You could also copy the drawing with nothing but the surface in it and test the different methods of reducing the file size.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Valued Contributor
seattlesurvey
Message 4 of 5 (143 Views)

12-11-2012 11:38 AM in reply to: diegoal

Also, remember that the drawing size will be impacted by the surface style in use when last saved.  For example, your saved drawing will be smaller if the surface style is a "No Display" style versus a style which displays contours and TIN lines.

HTH.

Valued Contributor
diegoal
Message 5 of 5 (138 Views)

12-11-2012 11:50 AM in reply to: seattlesurvey

Thanks guys, what you are suggesting can indicate the proportional impact of each surface... and maybe it should be good enough.

But I was expecting to calculate the TIN memory size by the number of triangles and its size in bytes vs the number of pixels and its size in bytes. So I guess I should write a VB code to be able to get the number of triangles (TIN) and valid pixels (DEM).

Isn't this the memory size of these ARX objects?

Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer - www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2013 / 2014 / 2015 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GT 630

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs