Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface gaps

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3015 Views, 13 Replies

Surface gaps

I am working in Civil3d 2009. I have a surface that has gaps in it. Adding lines has not eliminated the gaps, only made them smaller. I have attached a .png of the surface view. The white areas inside the blue are the areas that the surface does not cover. I have also tried surface smoothing including the void areas but it didn't fix the void. Does anyone have any ideas to fix this problem?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you deleted a point or surface line in the empty regions? If so I would
look at my surface's properties and go through the items in the definitions
tab to see if I could remove the edits producing the errors. You can check
to see if surface edits are producing the empty spaces fast by removing all
edits at once from the panorama. See if it fixes the issue & use undo to get
the edits back if desired.

--

John Mayo, PE

Win 7 64, C3D & RD 2010
Core i7 920, 6 GB DDR3
Quadro FX 1700
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Use a SHOW boundary.

Matthew Anderson, PE

On 4/26/2010 1:52 PM, LauraHendrix4022 wrote:
> I am working in Civil3d 2009. I have a surface that has gaps in it. Adding lines has not eliminated the gaps, only made them smaller. I have attached a .png of the surface view. The white areas inside the blue are the areas that the surface does not cover. I have also tried surface smoothing including the void areas but it didn't fix the void. Does anyone have any ideas to fix this problem?
>
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

John- One of the areas is in an area where I haven't performed any edits. Any ideas?

Matt- How do I do a SHOW boundary?

Thank you both so much for your help. I am very stumped.
Message 5 of 14
ctbailey

I've seen this before.

I've seen it after I've editted a surface by adding or deleting points, OR when pasting one surface into another.

The problem: the software is trying to create a triangular network from an even number of points. Remember: a triangle is defined by 3 points.

The solution: add points in the areas of "no mans land." If you are adding lines, you are introducing TWO points to the problem.

Craig Bailey
_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Place a polyline around those "gaps" and add to surface as a SHOW
boundary instead of a HIDE or OUTER boundary.

Matthew Anderson, PE

On 4/26/2010 3:57 PM, LauraHendrix4022 wrote:
> John- One of the areas is in an area where I haven't performed any edits. Any ideas?
>
> Matt- How do I do a SHOW boundary?
>
> Thank you both so much for your help. I am very stumped.
>
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

I added the SHOW boundary and also tried adding points. It creates an extra contour line that I then can't get rid of unless I delete the lines which takes me back to the original problem. I have attached a .png of the extra contour. Any ideas how to eliminate this extra contour?
Message 8 of 14
castled071049

I can't say what causes the problem, but what always works for me is to add a bogus surface point in the middle of the dead space, at an elevation close to the surrounding points. This creates TIN lines and fills in the dead area with surface, although slightly artificial in nature. Then I delete the bogus surface point via a surface edit, and for some inexplicable reason the point goes away but the filled-in surface area remains. I can't explain it but it works every time. Worth a try.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Adding the points and then deleting the points added the surface and it remains. However, I am still getting a fragment of the 345 contour that shouldn't be there that I can't eliminate without putting a gap back in the surface. Any ideas?
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Hallelujah! Found the solution with a combination of all your help. First, I looked at the points on either side of the contour segment and used the edit surface features to change the point elevations to just above 345 and the errant contour segment went away. There were still small holes in my surface so I drew a polyline bigger than the area and added it to the surface as a SHOW boundary and all is fixed. Thanks so much to you all. I really appreciate it!
Message 11 of 14
andrewpuller3811

We get this occasionally too. I usually just delete a line on the edge of the missing triangle, then add the line back in. This will create the triangles on both sides of the line.

May have to add the same line twice for it to be added in though.

It would be nice for civil 3d to not create tins with holes, but i would settle for a tool to fill in the holes.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 12 of 14
amdomag

You can also delete TIN lines along the gap boundary to expand the gap. Then add back TIN lines. It always works fine with me when I encounter this type of problem. Hope this helps.

Arnel M. Domag
nth geographics and geometrics
Message 13 of 14

Adding a surface point within the void area close to the surface elevation and then deleting it causes it to re-calculate and gets rid of the void area.  May have to do it a couple of times but I had the same problem and it worked for me.

Message 14 of 14
Marty.Smith
in reply to: castled071049

This worked for me!  Thanks for the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report