Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface from civil 3d to Revit architecture

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Aistis88
5866 Views, 6 Replies

Surface from civil 3d to Revit architecture

Is it possible to export created surface from civil to revit architecture? If yes  , How? And if its not possible - maybe i can somehow import cogo points to revit?

Thanks for your help , ir really appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
doni49
in reply to: Aistis88

Well you CAN but it's not exactly simple.

There was an EXCELLENT class at AU that covered this very topic in great depth.  If you can do so, I'd suggest watching it when it comes out. It was called something along the lines of "Can't we all get along" and there were two speakers (one was Brian L. and I don't remember the other guy's name).

If you imagine a C3D surface with NO BREAKLINES (points only), that's a Revit topo surface.  The class provided techniques to create additional points along the important breaklines (such as curb) so that Revit would display the surface properly.

EDIT:  I was able to locate info on the class.  I forgot they sent me an email after the class.

CI3206 - Can’t We All Just Get Along? Advanced Workflows Between Revit and Civil 3D

Speakers:  Brian Levendowski and Shawn Zirbes

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 7
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I told Brian (one of the speakers) about your inquiry.  Following is his reply.

Shawn and I taught the class several months ago as well, at my company’s annual conference and it was recorded.  The dataset is different, and it’s more slanted towards architecture disciplines, but should still be helpful.  Here’s a link to the recording on my blog:  http://www.civilinformationmodeling.net/civil-3d-and-revit-workflows-is-it-possible/

Hopefully it'll help you.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 7
Joe-Bouza

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13734321&linkID=9240695

http://download.autodesk.com/us/skillbuilder/rac/rac_c3d/export_c3d_to_rac.htm

http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/civil-3d-surface-to-revit-thats-easy/

Google is your friend 🙂

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 7
MikeEvansUK

I strongly advise not creating a Topo surface in Revit! Do not use the surface from Civil3d included in the bridge tools. Do not use the Triangles or points unless you have no breaklines in the surface or desire to have to undertake a lot of editing each time the surface is revised. (this is why I say bridge tools are not usable)

• Only create a Topo in revit from contours and then only if you really need to have a surface. The resultant surface will have so many points (dependent on the contours which could be weeded) it could be unsusable on large sites and unnessesary.

The surface will as already stated be incorrect due to the lack of breakline abilities in revit. It does not hold the triangulation model as civil3d details it but uses the faces to create points and creates faces using its own logic.

Q. Do you really need a Revit Topo surface? I believe the answer is always NO.

In this case the best solution is to do the following.

In Civil3d

• Identify a Grid intersection for coordination (very important - forget shared coordinates here see why later). Create a box on this gridline rotated/aligned to the grids and set the elevation as FFL in the civil3d model file (where zero is in Revit) then extrude the box.
  • Export the surface triangles.
  • Copy the triangles and solid Box to a new drawing and save.
  • Convert the faces to regions (Region command select all faces apart from the box) - Do not use Faces as result has a "thickening" in Revit.
  • save the file and go to Revit

In Revit.

• Create new Generic Mass family part
  • import the drawing file created from Civil3d (using conversion units where nessesay)
  • Insert the family into the Revit model
  • Align the family part using the box to the grid intersection, rotation and level (Revit mass family parts do not seem to use shared coordinates or know where they are but I am working on this to find the best position in the family to align to)
  • Now It gets above my understanding but using the Revit View & style settings you can set this to appear and how it will be detailed in revit.

The result is that revit will show a thin line representing the surface profile in sections and a solid triangulation model in 3d views.

You can annotate the surface levels (for the most part, in some instances you may have to be exactly on a line or point)

FYI the workflow is exactly the same for Pipework apart from:

• Flip to a 3d view in Civil3d and explode the pipes & structures twice. Then follow same proceedure.

This is my tried and tested method we use here to coordinate between Civil3d & Revit Structure and it works very well within reason.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 7
Aistis88
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

What did you mean by saying " Identify a Grid", "convert the FACES" ( what is those faces? Is it triangles? ) , and what FFL stands for ?   Sorry if my question looks stupid .

Message 7 of 7
MikeEvansUK

Identify a grid > We use the building grid intersections for coordination. You could use any known point so long as you can identify a position & rotation in Revit.

Convert the Faces. Civil3d Surface Triangles are exported as faces.

FFL, May be a uk term for Finished Floor Level.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report