Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface contours do not print

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
eladkcem
2161 Views, 30 Replies

Surface contours do not print

I have a surface with 1' and 5' contours. In model space the surface behaves normally - I can select it, add labels, change the properties, etc.

But...I have several paperspace layouts and in some of them the surface is not 'selectable', it is visible but I cannot select the object (as though it didn't exist). It does not show up in the print preview or the actual plot either. (Oddly enough, the contour labels are selectable and do print out just fine...)

Any suggestions? The paperspace layouts are pretty much identical (plan and profile sheets of a road). There are no layout overides of any sort as far as linetype, visibility, etc. Help!

-dale
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: eladkcem

does the surface display in a MS plot?, is it possible you have an errant wipe out frame in PS? type trfames id PS to see if any display and get rid of them

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 31
jmeza
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The surface performed flawlessly in MS along with a 500MB ecw and other entities.  As far as the wipe out frame, i thought of that as well and created a new drawing with the c3d 2012 template "_AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS" brought in the surface thru data shortcut, created a layout tab with one 11x17 vport in 2dwireframe and it didn't work either, I could see the countours but at plot preview you only saw the surface border in all diifferent type of surface styles.  I typed in tframes, trfames didn't work, and nothing.

Jessy

Message 23 of 31
ishkav
in reply to: jmeza

I subscribe to the issue. Using dviews and vpmax I can see the surface, but it does not plot it all, just in parts. My resoultion was the explode the surface to a block for display. 😞

Ishka
CAD Manager
Tom Groll Engineering
Email: ishka@tg-eng.com
Blog: http://www.civildigest.com, Twitter: C3Dish
Windows 7 x64, IDS 2014, 2013 & C3D 2012
Intel i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

Message 24 of 31
ishkav

This is a bug for 2012 and is related to the new feature called level of detail. In order to plot the contours, go to the view in Ribbon and turn off the level of detail.

Ishka
CAD Manager
Tom Groll Engineering
Email: ishka@tg-eng.com
Blog: http://www.civildigest.com, Twitter: C3Dish
Windows 7 x64, IDS 2014, 2013 & C3D 2012
Intel i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

Message 25 of 31
mdbutikofer

Thanks!  I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure this problem out.  Now I have my contours.

Message 26 of 31
losfotos

We just had this problem in C3D 2012. The display level trick worked!

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 27 of 31
katayatz
in reply to: eladkcem

I have tried all of the above. If I plot, my existing ground does print correctly.  If I plot to pdf, it will pdf correctly.  If I PUBLISH it does not, and it doesn't matter if my Level of detail is on or off....  Cat Mad

Using Autocad C3D 2012

Message 28 of 31
troma
in reply to: katayatz

Is it a data shortcut?  I've seen others saying that the publish command doesn't let the shortcuts load properly before creating the plot.  I belive that's a know issue.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 29 of 31
katayatz

Why yes, yes they are... The design contours are also data shortcuts and are printing correctly, at least on these set of plans.  I will try to promote the existing ground and see what happens.  Thank you!

Message 30 of 31
silvernich
in reply to: losfotos

So I tried the "Level of Detail" toggle trick and it worked for one file, but not the other. Then after raging at CAD for a while, I detached and reattached the file with the surface in it, and low and behold, the contours decided to print.

Perhaps this will save someone some pain...

Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7, 64-bit, SP2
Message 31 of 31
zachrbX4JR8
in reply to: silvernich

I recently had a similar issue. After some investigation, I saw that my surface contours, which were in the sheet file, were set to display as 3d lines within the surface style properties>Contours>3D Geometry. I set the contour display mode to Flatten Elevations, and it plotted with no problems.

ACAD Civil 3D 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report