Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Range 2d Area

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
wings1080
461 Views, 5 Replies

Surface Range 2d Area

can someone please give me a definition of what exactly this is?  i just created a table but need to know what the numbers mean and googling is useless, see attached table, for speaking purposes, number 5 which is 43' to 44', what is the 12,164.09 area????

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: wings1080

My understanding of these areas is that if you imagine a series of concentric circles the lowest value i.e.Number 1 represents the smallest circle. Number 2 represents the annular area between circle 1 and 2, Number 3 is the annular area between 2 and 3 etc.

Thus the area for Number 5 only represents the area between 44' and 45' (so for say a flood level of 45' the area flooded would be the sum of the areas 1 to 5) and the total of all the areas should equal the total surface area (2D)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 6
wings1080
in reply to: neilyj666

cool, thanks ... are you sure this is right? would like one more person to chime in on this unless you are sure

also, the topography is definitely not uniform as you describe in your example, there will be tiny little islands, 100's of them between certain elevation ranges, I am hoping it accounts for this, no idea how this could be be computed but i have faith in the great god of civil 3d
Message 4 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: wings1080

my example was just that to illustrate the concept. I'm pretty sure that all the little islands are accounted for- check the total adds up to the surface area. You could extract user contours and calculate the area between them.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 6

Yup Neilyj is right, for your particluar example, the area for number 5 is everything in your surface between elevations 43 and 44.
Message 6 of 6

thanks guys

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report