Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Question

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
742 Views, 24 Replies

Surface Question

Is it possible to extend a surface at its current trajectory? I have a survey data set and need about 5 more meters of surface on the cut side of my alignment to make daylighting work.

another possible solution would be better knowledge of daylighting override techniques, as the cooridor cross sections of the stations that report poor daylighting show the daylighting stopping short, when it would clearly intersect existing ground.

thanks

Kyle
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

; )

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 25
Sinc

I decided to give Kringing another try, and once again got less than stellar results.

The results are very dependent on the settings, and different setting can give wildly different results. Since I only want to extend things 3', the grid-based option works very poorly, unless the grid spacing is set EXTREMELY small. Random Points gives much better results, but the surface does not extend all the way to my selected boundary; it only encompasses the random points themselves, which means the surface stops short of my desired boundary in most places. So the Random Points option is out.

I couldn't figure out how to get "Centroids" or "Edge Midpoints" to work for this task.

So it's starting to look like I can use Kringing if I use the Grid method, and use a very small value for the grid size, and let it generate a ton of extra points. Otherwise, it seems the best option is to ignore Kringing, and go back to the manual method I was using before. I actually get better results that way, too, even though it's not as "cool" as Kringing.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous

I think KeithKnifer and Sinc' s comments and tries are well and sound. I am wondering what you expect out of software? if you do not have data, you just need to either ask surveyor to get,it, that is what it takes, or extrapolate it with "artificial (random)points" to your best of knowledge. What else would you do? there are no guesses on what software will do at this point. Garbage in-garbage out. interpolation is a different ball game. Let us be real with the real world! how accurate do you want to be?
Message 24 of 25
ksorsby

What I expect out of the software is simply a tool to extend surfaces to a specified point or line, given the current boundary conditions of the surface. If we can do it manually, albeit slowly, then why can't we have a tool to speed up the process.
Frankly, it's not up to Autodesk to make the call as to what is engineering-ly useful data. That's my and my fellow engineers responsibility. If someone ends up creating and using bad data, well, that's their bad. They shouldn't be making those decisions in future. Garbage in-garbage out is correct for both software and humans.

And don't forget, we aren't necessarily dealing with the real world. I reckon 3 or 4 out of 10 projects I work on require me to work with hypothetical situations.
Message 25 of 25
Sinc

> {quote:title=dei-feif wrote:}{quote}
> Since I only want to extend things 3', the grid-based option works very poorly, unless the grid spacing is set EXTREMELY small. Random Points gives much better results, but the surface does not extend all the way to my selected boundary; it only encompasses the random points themselves, which means the surface stops short of my desired boundary in most places. So the Random Points option is out.

And unfortunately, the Grid method ALSO does not create a surface that extends all the way to my desired line. So the Grid method doesn't work, either.

It's back to manual.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report