Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Printing C3D 2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RickCarle-PE
421 Views, 6 Replies

Surface Printing C3D 2012

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but when printing a surface in Civil 3D 2012 be sure to turn of level of detail.  We have noticed that surfaces will not print or show up in print preview unless the level of detail is turned off.

Bug?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: RickCarle-PE

That would have to be a bug because Autodesk civil tech support blog Being Civil says Level of Detail does not affect printing.

I am surprised I haven't heard of this as I support a few hundred users and no one has mentioned it. Are you sure you haven't missed another setting, like the contour component layer being set to No Plot? Just a thought...

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
RickCarle-PE

Nope. Actually our reseller total cad systems inc are the ones that told me about it. You can blame Todd Rogers for that one 🙂
Message 4 of 7
tcorey

Hey, Rick, I just tested this and it works fine for me. I tested with the DWG to PDF driver.

I have C3D 2012 with Update 1 applied. Do you have the update? I looked through the readme for update 1 and it doesn't mention any issues relating to Level of Detail and printing, but it's worth installing (unless you have custom .net programs. New bug, being looked at.)

Have you tested this yourself or are you just going by what Mr. Rogers told you? Maybe he misspoke or maybe you misheard?

If it's not a hassle for you, I am interested in following up on this as I like to know in advance of potential issues. Let me know the results of your in-house test and post a file if you have negative results.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 7

This is exclusive to layouts. It prints fine in model space, NOT paper space.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks, Todd. Yes, I see that now. It's funny, I almost always print from layouts, but didn't when I tested this. Doh!

Hopefully 2013 will have the fix....

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 7

Autodesk always introduce new features that that always has side effect, but don't worry, this is related to the new feature called level of detail. In order to plot the contours, go to the view in Ribbon and turn off the level of detail, and here you go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report