Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Hide Boundaries

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Chris__Wilson
1540 Views, 5 Replies

Surface Hide Boundaries

I am trying to create a composite surface of existing and proposed.  I have extracted a boundary from the proposed surfaces, but when I try to create a hide boundary on a copy of the existing (non destructive breakline checked) it doesn't quite work.  The triangles have altered along boundary but the ones within the boundary haven't hidden.

Have any of you had this problem?

Thanks in anticipation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cwitzel
in reply to: Chris__Wilson

Have you tried pasting the proposed into the existing? (Surface edit)  That would be the typical way to create a composite.

The only time I use boundaries is when I am trying to meld two disimilar surfaces.  For example a surveyed surface and a GIS surface.  The way we would typically do it is to offset the boundary outward a distance (depends on how different they are) and then let the triangulation smooth the difference.

Hope that helps,

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 3 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Chris__Wilson

Whan you add a Hiddden boundary there is an 'S' option at the command line to use a surface as a hidden boundary. Did you try this? You may note even need to paste EG & FG together.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
doni49
in reply to: cwitzel

@cwitzel wrote:

Have you tried pasting the proposed into the existing? (Surface edit)  That would be the typical way to create a composite.

The only time I use boundaries is when I am trying to meld two disimilar surfaces.  For example a surveyed surface and a GIS surface.  The way we would typically do it is to offset the boundary outward a distance (depends on how different they are) and then let the triangulation smooth the difference.

Hope that helps,

Conan Witzel

Actually, I would suggest NOT pasting into the existing surface.  Create a new surface, paste the existing into it and then paste the proposed in.  This will leave the existing in tact.  See the screen shot for the location of "Paste Surface" (it's disabled in the screenshot because I only have one surface in my current file).

C3DPasteSurface.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 6
Chris__Wilson
in reply to: cwitzel

Thanks cwitzel, I think I was trying to make this more complicated than I need to.
Message 6 of 6
Chris__Wilson
in reply to: doni49

Thanks doni49, this worked, my method was too complicated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report