AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Tobi Yarbrough
Message 1 of 4 (142 Views)

Surface From L Contour not working

142 Views, 3 Replies
02-10-2005 07:32 AM
I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and there are no gaps. Any ideas?
*Angel Espinoza
Message 2 of 4 (142 Views)

Re: Surface From L Contour not working

02-10-2005 10:59 AM in reply to: *Tobi Yarbrough
Typically, when a surface has a concave area, like the inside of the L, we have to define a surface boundary to prevent triangulation across the concave area. Angel Espinoza KETIV Technologies "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:420b7ea0_1@newsprd01... > I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into > Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary > jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. > I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I > do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and there > are no gaps. Any ideas? > >
*Drew Burgasser
Message 3 of 4 (142 Views)

02-10-2005 12:12 PM in reply to: *Tobi Yarbrough
Tobi: I believe the event viewer gives coordinates for the problem location. Maybe you can zoom to those coordinates to check it out. It would be nice if the event viewer had a "zoom to" function for the coordinates. Sincerely, Drew Burgasser CAD Masters, Inc. "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:420b7ea0_1@newsprd01... >I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into >Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary >jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. >I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I >do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and there >are no gaps. Any ideas? >
*Natan Elsberg
Message 4 of 4 (142 Views)

02-13-2005 12:21 AM in reply to: *Tobi Yarbrough
Another option to consider sometimes in lieu of a boundary is to set the maximum triangle length in the definition portion of the surface properties. If your data is spaced fairly close together then setting a number about 1.5 times your average point spacing in your data should produce automatically a fairly good boundary for concave shaped surfaces. It may not work perfectly in all situation but it is a worth a try to see if the results are good for you. Good Luck, Natan "Angel Espinoza" wrote in message news:420baf15_2@newsprd01... > Typically, when a surface has a concave area, like the inside of the L, we > have to define a surface boundary to prevent triangulation across the > concave area. > > Angel Espinoza > KETIV Technologies > > > "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message > news:420b7ea0_1@newsprd01... > > I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into > > Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary > > jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. > > I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I > > do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and > there > > are no gaps. Any ideas? > > > > > >

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs