Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Contour Labels - layering conventions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
markpeterson4503
858 Views, 4 Replies

Surface Contour Labels - layering conventions

Is there a way that I can set the layer of a contour label based upon what type of contour line it crosses?

I would like to have layers in my file of Terrain - Labels - Minor and Terrain - Labels - Major. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Yes, you can create styles for Major contour labels and Minor contour labels, and those label styles can send their respective labels to different layers (as set in the style).  When you go to add contour labels, the Add Labels window will have options for you to select a Major contour label style and a Minor contour label style.

HTH.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for that tip - I had always just inserted contour labels by going to Add Labels> Contour Single.

The only problem I have now is that even though my contour label style calls for the label to be on layer "Terrain - Labels Major", the default setting for TIN labels is to be on layer '0'. Now all my labels, even though they appear to be on the correct layer, are on layer '0'.

Doing a Select Similar doesn't work, as it grabs both major & minor contours, even though they appear differently (different text heights, different layer colors).

Message 4 of 5

Well, even though your contour label object is on layer 0, the labels can be selectively frozen, thawed, turned off, on, etc, by manipulating the label layer that's set in your style.

HTH.

Message 5 of 5

My label style is set to use layer "Terrain - Labels Minor".

My labels are actually (upon closer examination) responding as though they are on layer "Terrain - Labels Major" even though they appear as though they are on the minor layer.

I cannot quick select the minor labels, as C3D thinks the labels are all the same, though they clearly are not.

Must be yet another glitch in C3D.

Thanks anyways, seattlesurvey.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report