Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superimpose Profile Crossings

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
erwebsite
2769 Views, 13 Replies

Superimpose Profile Crossings

I have a road centerline alignment/profile. And I have a proposed storm line that can runs along either side of the road.  I showing the storm line in the road profile view and am superimosing the stormline surface profile onto the main road profile view.

I also need to show (superimpose) utilities that cross the storm line onto the road profile view, I do not see that civil 3d can do this. The closest thing i have thought to do is place a block at elevation at the crossing utility crossing and then project the block onto the road profile view. (I don't see how a pipe would work for a existing utility because if it does not cross the road alignment it can not be shown at all.)

This is not the best solution because if the proposed storm line moves all the utility crossings (blocks) will need to be moved and have the elevation updated.

Is there a dynamic way to show the utility crossings?

Thanks

-John

Civil 3D 2014
Win 7
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jay_B
in reply to: erwebsite

Are Pipe Networks being used?

Can you post a caption showing how these crossings relate to your design?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 14
erwebsite

Attached is a screen shot with some markings on it. The propoed storm is highlighted in yellow. The crossing are circled in magenta. The main alignment is where the stationing is.

The water and gas etc. are not as big of a deal because the depths are approximate. so i placed a block to project on the crossings and the elevation is based on a pasted surface that is dropped 4'. The existing sanitary and storm would a bigger deal as the inverts would have to be figured if the proposed storm is moved.

Thanks

-John

Civil 3D 2014
Win 7
Message 4 of 14
Jay_B

All I'm seeing is a gray box in caption with an ever so tiny drawing margin at top.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 14
erwebsite

This one should be ok.

Civil 3D 2014
Win 7
Message 6 of 14
bdrill

I don't see a solution to your problem posted. Did you ever figure out how to do this? I am currently having the same problem. I have a baseline alignment and an alignment over my water line that is 20' offset. There are many utility crossings that do not intersect the baseline alignment. I superimpose the correct ground profile but I see no way to show the utilities at their crossing.

Message 7 of 14
cwr-pae

If I understand your issue right:

C3D will show any pipes/structures in the drawing in any profile view. Under the Pipes Menu (not sure where this falls in the ribbon) and project each network to the Profile view, then go to the Profile View Properties Pipe Network tab and check the ones you want displayed, uncheck the ones you do not.

If you want the pipes crossing to show as just an ellipse over ride the style (in the pipe network tab) with a crossing style showing only crossing pipe walls and/or hatch.

If you want crossing pipes to show as lines with a ellipse at the point of crossing, do as above but have the style show the inner/outer walls and the crossing walls.

Hope this helps

Message 8 of 14
bdrill
in reply to: cwr-pae

Thanks for the reply. I am am aware of the crossing pipe style overides to get them to appear as ellipse. The problem is however the 2 alighnments. The image posted by the other user just above mine shows exactly the same problem I am having. If my alignment over my actual location of my new utility crosses pipes that do not cross the baseline alignment, overiding the style to crossing pipe causes them to dissapear from my baseline alighnment profile because they don't actually intersect. Unless I am going about this the wrong way, which very well may be, I am lost.

Message 9 of 14
cwr-pae
in reply to: bdrill

Ok, you are trying to show the crossings at the superimposed profile in the target profile view? That cant be done as C3D funtion as far as I know.

But as work around to show the crossings, you can put a structure at the crossing with a style showing the structure pipe outlines (put the structure part of the style on a non plotting layer) to show an ellipse at the crossing in any profile. You will have to set the connected pipes to not show in the profile view for the outlines to show.

This will not work if you need to show the lines of the pipes and the crossing unless you create duplicate networks.

If you play with this you may find something that can give you what you need.

Message 10 of 14
BrianHailey
in reply to: bdrill

This has been an issue for as long as pipe networks have been in Civil 3D. A pipe can only shown as a crossing in a profile view for an alignment the pipe crosses and then it will only show the elevation of the pipe at the pipe-alignment crossing.

This would be a great thing to add to the IDEA STATION. Go there and post up your idea. Other then what was mentioned before, I can't thing of an automated way of accomplishing this.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 14
bdrill
in reply to: cwr-pae

Thank You! I did just what you said. Way more than we should have to do. It seems like every other day I go through the "this program is great" to "the program doesn't do this...why not". I will be suggesting it be fixed like Brian said. If you can superimpose a ground profile from another alignment why not the crossings.

Message 12 of 14
nick.flores
in reply to: BrianHailey

You can show the crossing pipes in you profile view for the pipe, then physically overlay the profile views, matching the relative stationing and elevations. One issue to keep in mind is that along horizontal curves in the alginment the crossing pipes wont be in the exact true location (because they aren't true projections), but they are dynamic and at the correct elevation and this is better than placing 2D crossing pipes. This isn't ideal, but i don't see a better solutuion to date.

Tags (2)
Message 13 of 14

It sounds like we're trying to solve the same problem.

Here is a workflow that works pretty well for me:

1. Use the convertto3dsolids command to make your pipes 3D solid objects.
  2. Use the Polysolid command to draw a 3D solid "wall" along where you want to cut crossings out of the pipes. Make sure the polysolid intersects all the pipes you want to extract crossings from.
  3. Use the interfere command to find interferences between the polysolid and your pipe solids. Uncheck the "delete interference objects created on close" checkbox so you can project the interferences onto a profile.

It's a little tedious but this method gives me complete control of crossings. I hope this helps!

Message 14 of 14
jameshitt
in reply to: nick.flores

I consider this to be the best workaround.

Here are snaps of it that I did just today:

Separate:

Capture.JPG

Combined:

Capture2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report