Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superelevation for Four Lane Divided Highway

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
smertens13
747 Views, 6 Replies

Superelevation for Four Lane Divided Highway

I am attempting to construct superelevations to a four lane, divided highway segment using the Calculate Superelevation Wizard tool. The dimensions for this roadway (both directions are symmetrical) are as follows: the inside shoulders (nearest to median) are 6', inside lanes are 12', outside lanes are to be 14', and outside shoulders are to be 10'.

Because this is an irregularrly designed four lane roadway, I am having difficulty inputting the dimensions I need in order to set this roadway up. In the Superelevation Wizard, I am orginally selecting the 'Divided Crowned with Median' option in 'Roadway Type' tab. However in the the 'Lanes' and 'Shoulder Control' tabs, I am unable to adjust the normal lane/shoulder widths to what I need. For the lane widths, even when I uncheck the 'Symmetric Roadway' box, the inside and outside lanes mirror each other when I input any values. Same goes with the shoulder widths.

I was wondering if someone knows how I can go about inputting these differing width values for the lanes and shoulders or if there is a better method that I should be doing instead to get the superelevations I need for this four lane divided highway.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: smertens13

If you choose the symmetrical, build your corridor with the assemblies set to the widths you want, do your sections not show correctly?  In mine, it picks up the widths set from the assembly.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 7
smertens13
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

The assemblies used for this corridor are set to the correct widths. Just inputting the correct widths into the Superelevation Wizard is the issue...

Message 4 of 7
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I guess what I was saying is that I've never had to revise the widths in the SE Wizard. I just had to make sure that SE was applied to the alignment and the corridor targets would take care of the rest.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 5 of 7
smertens13

So you're saying that when you start the Superelevation Wizards, you do not have to input widths like I show in the attached images?

PS. Thank you for helping me out with this; this is actually my first time using the Superelevation Wizard tool and I was just following the steps that were laid out for me by my supervisor. Unfortunately my supervisor is unsure of what to do about this issue as well...

Message 6 of 7
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

We use the AASHTO 2011 criteria files.  Unless there's a significant difference between your assembly and your criteria that would affect the supers. Our lanes are pretty consistent throughout the project, so I set my lane widths generally in the SE Wizard, and design widths in the assembly.  I haven't had an instance where the differing widths would affect the SE calcs.

Example, I put 12' in the SE Wizard, but my designed lane actually ends up being 11'. You have to consider what happens to the SE criteria.

HTH

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 7 of 7
JoelW7

We have always entered "Normal Widths" within this setting (6' inside shoulder, 12' lanes, 10' outside shoulder).  Our through travel lanes are usually a constant 11'/12'.  Even if we enter 12' and have an 11' lane it still works.  We have used this before for turn lanes where the widths have varied due to turn lane tapers, etc.  Even so, the "Normal lane width" does not make a difference for us for the turn lanes that vary from 0'-12' as long as our targets are targeted correctly for these widths in the corridor and the subassembly for that lane is targeting the correct setting (Inside or outside Lane).  Although now that I think about this when we have these varying widths we don't use the automatic superelevation tool and manually enter it into the tabular editor for that lane (which is why the normal lane width does not matter for us).

One of our pet peeves of C3D is the fact Autodek seems to think people only build 2 lanes on the right and 2 lanes on the left as you can tell based on the settings.  We use Superelevation as a way to modify our slopes on turn lanes and we design local roads with 3+ lanes in each direction.  Caltrans must be having a blast with this as they have their superhighways with 5+ lanes in each direction and have a software that only can handle for superlevation 2 lanes on each side of the alignments, LOL.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report