Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Sized Drawing File Challenge

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
JeffPaulsen
1166 Views, 22 Replies

Super Sized Drawing File Challenge

Anyone bored and looking for a challenge?

I've seen this type of post several times and don't usually have problems reducing file size. However, this one has me stumped.

I received a drawing from another consultant that uses C3D 2013. When I open the drawing in C3D 2012 I get the message that it was created in a newer version of C3D so I assume he did a saveas to 2010.

When I get drawings like this I copy what I need to the clipboard and paste into a new drawing (acad.dwt). This usually works fine. But in this case the drawing is almost 4 MB and contains just one arc. I purged everything I can from the drawing and it is still 3 MB.

I looked for but could not find any of the usual suspects: drawing scales, regapps, empty text objects and wipeouts. When I list "all" there is one arc in model space and 4 viewports in paper space. I did notice that there are hundreds of linetypes and text styles that cannot be purged.

I tried export to AutoCAD DWG 2010, 2007, 2004 and 2000 but that didn't help. Export to AutoCAD DWG R14 and DXF R12 both caused C3D to become unresponsive. Saveas to DWG R14 and DXF R12 caused C3D to become unresponsive.

If anyone can figure out what is making this drawing so large it would be greatly appreciated since the person that sent it to me is on vacation until next week.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
rl_jackson
in reply to: C3DJAKE

No wonder your having problems with that file. Your not using any data references or xrefs whatsoever. You have everything in one drawing file.

You should be using data references and xrefs.

For instance:

You should have a drawing with your EG Surface in it only. this could be created from your point data or you could XML the surface you current working file then import it into a fresh drawing and save it as a data reference (you would then delete the surface from the drawing and create a referene.)

Same thing would hold true for your alignmnets, profiles, corridors etc.....

This drawing would tax any PC to the limits your describing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 23
C3DJAKE
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thanks for you reply. I agree the drawing should have been set up as you recommend. Unfortunately that's how I received it.

However, take a look at the file with everything deleted. It's totally empty, as far as I can tell, yet it still maxes the memory. Any ideas about this?

**Edit

Well actually, upon closing and re-opening, it does appear the empty file is normal. I am hoping there is a single offender that is bloating the file. But it very well may be as you originally suggested.

I think I'm going to have to take the drawing apart piece-by-piece. Maybe something will emerge.

Message 23 of 23
rl_jackson
in reply to: C3DJAKE

Just my personal take on it, you can do what you would like. But in the long run I think recreating everything would be more prudent and far less hassel.

Everything is there, its just a matter of getting it all seperated. Sure you may have to duplicate some things but, headaches you going to have from that drawing far outway the recreation IMO.

I would not expect it to take that long to do either. The time spent waiting for that drawing to come up, I could have done all the drefs

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report