Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer - Stripping surface tool

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
martin.folber
3378 Views, 11 Replies

Subassembly Composer - Stripping surface tool

Hi,

we are missing tool in SAC  for stripping a surface exactly the same way how Stripping Pavement or Striping TopSoil works. There is no tool to copy and vertical offset part of the surface. I found out some workaround with Point Delta X on Surface and then vertical Offset, but this is very complicated and I am not able to follow each peak of the surface. Do you have any effective idea? Surface link is not suitable for Topsoil stripping.

Thanks

Martin

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
kiyabole
in reply to: martin.folber

exactly wt kind of strriping do u want? could u elaborate?

Kiya Chemeda
Civil 3D 2013
HP Pavilion dv6 cor i7
16GB RAM
windows 8
Message 3 of 12
martin.folber
in reply to: kiyabole

I need several topsoil strippings integrated in my own subassembly.

thanks

Message 4 of 12

Why do you say that a Surface Link is not suitable for topsoil stripping?

A Surface Link allows you to pick the surface to follow, define a starting X and an ending X (along with the ability to reference offset targets), and then select what the vertical offset from the surface is that you define.

Is this not what topsoil stripping would need? If not maybe you can provide a sketch of what you are looking for?

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 5 of 12

Hi Kati,

here it is, what we need...Stripping.png

Message 6 of 12

As Kati pointed out, that is exaclty what the surface link was designed to do. It will follow a surface between two points and with an optional vertical offset.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12

Thanks Peter and Kati,

I made a fool of myself little bit... Maybe the picture in SAC help should be more illustrative. It is not clear, if there is one link (segment) or more segments of stripped surface.

Martin

Message 8 of 12

Here is a subassembly that has one "Surface Link", it segments it to match the surface. Hopefully this visual helps. (The far left side has a separate link for a slope to surface.)

11-9-2012 2-51-58 PM.jpg

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 9 of 12

Thanks Kati, this is quite clear example and good tip how to "close" the stripping.

MartinSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
LeafRiders
in reply to: martin.folber

Since it's already built, and it's so simple would someone like to post it in 2012 version?

Message 11 of 12
LeafRiders
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Did you add this slope link in your Assembly design in Civil 3D or did you have this built right into your custom SA?  I'm thinking it's likely just required on the outside of the stripping SA. 

I need a slope link on both ends (it's not crucial mind you). What we need is the stripping from the edge of the shoulder to the end of the daylight (ditch or side sideslope). I have built it so I can set the offset from C/L or target a feature for the inside of the stripping. For the outside of the stripping i've done the same thing. What I'm not seeing is how i can build into the custom SA a tie-in of a slope link to the target surface.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 12

I can see two ways to do the closing link. One would be to add a link from the end of the stripping link to the OG surface. This would make a link that would close beyond the daylight point. The second option would be to add a link from the daylight point back towards the centerline down to the stripping depth and then add the stripping linke between the EOS and that point.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report