Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer - Ditch Depth in Fill Condition

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
jblackwood
5634 Views, 49 Replies

Subassembly Composer - Ditch Depth in Fill Condition

I am trying to create a custom subassembly using SAC 2012 that will place a 1' deep ditch at the bottom of the slope in a fill condition.  The trouble I am having is how to hold a consant 1' depth on the backslope and vary the foreslope since the daylight offset and elevation is variable depending on the slope of the existing ground.  I need the attachment point to be the edge of the shoulder so it seems like a loop that varies the foreslope length would be required but loops are not allowed.  I will also have the option to target a profile but I also need the ability to hold a constant ditch depth.

Has anyone tried to model something similar or have any idea on how to model this condition.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Blackwood

49 REPLIES 49
Message 41 of 50

Jefferey,

I just noticed that you never recieved a reply to this and now that I have 2014 installed, I was able to open your pkt file.  I just did so and it's BLANK.

I don't know if you ever resolved your issue (hopefully you did).

BlankPKTFile.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 42 of 50
JonVinci
in reply to: doni49

Hi doni, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't think your version of subassembly composer is compatible with mine (I'm using 2013 version), and so I could not open your file. 

What I meant by "doesn't work" is that when I attach it to an assembly and run the corridor, nothing appears in my cross sections. I'm still new to SAC so maybe I just haven't figured out everything I need to input or how to set parameters (I'm also open to any links to tutorials or blog posts that could help if you have any in mind that could get me on the right direction).

The point of making AP2 was because I thought I needed to create a point where I offset vertically 1' from where the back slope of the ditch would daylight. I basically used the "solution" on page 2 of this thread and worked my way kind of in a circle back to the origin. Maybe I'll try changing this to real point. 

And thanks for pointing me in the right direction on point codes. I will try to hunt down that blog post.

Message 43 of 50
doni49
in reply to: JonVinci

SAC won't save down to a previous version so I can't convert it for you.  I also have 2012 here but it won't open yours because it's from 2013.

Oh well.  AP1 does need to be an aux point as it's only a "helper point" that will not ultimately be seen in C3D.  But since you were going to place P3 relative to AP2 so that it is always on top of it, then you'd be fine making it a regular point.

But here are some screen shots for you -- these are the changes that I made along with the preview window.

SACScreenshots.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 44 of 50
doni49

you might also find the following post helpful (there's someone else asking for help with SAC).

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/ditch-bottom-to-alignment-or-feature-line/m-p...

Don Ireland

Message 45 of 50
JonVinci

Very nice don, I think it's starting to look how I want it! Thanks

Is there any way I can set this up to label the slope in the cross sections? Like it would display 50% on cross sections view?

Message 46 of 50
doni49
in reply to: JonVinci

@JonVinci wrote:

Very nice don, I think it's starting to look how I want it! Thanks

Is there any way I can set this up to label the slope in the cross sections? Like it would display 50% on cross sections view?

That would be handled in C3D's code set styles but it's based in part on the codes you assigned in the SA.

Don Ireland

Message 47 of 50
jheinrich2WC9E
in reply to: jblackwood

I am resurrecting this post.  I was never able to get the subassembly to work correctly.  Can someone provide some input as to how to correctly construct this subassembly to get the channel to be a certain distance below the existing ground on the low side?

Message 48 of 50

Providing your current .pkt file and saying what about it doesn't work would help you get a more accurate answer. 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 49 of 50

I had previously posted the pkt in this forum. I have changed employers since then, is there a way I can pull the pkt from the forum? I downloaded the zip file that I had loaded and extracted the info, but I don't see a pkt file extension

[cid:image001.png@01D21422.A7CF4CF0]

Thanks

Jeff Heinrich, PE
Senior Engineer
jheinrich@markosky.com

[cid:image001.png@01D0F09B.02B221D0]
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information from The Markosky Engineering Group, Inc.
The contents may be privileged and confidential and are intended for the use of the intended
addressee(s) only. If you are not an intended addressee, note that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact me at 724.238.4138.
Message 50 of 50

Previously you could not upload a .pkt file here so you changed the .pkt file extension to .zip in order to upload it. Change the .zip back to .pkt and you should be able to open it in SAC. 

Alternatively you can recreate it. 

P1 at origin. 

AP1 Slope and Delta Y for the backslope and POSITIVE depth of your channel. 

P2 (daylight) Slope to Surface using the foreslope to the existing surface

P3 (bottom of channel) Slope and Delta Y from P2 backwards to the channel bottom the NEGATIVE depth of your channel and NEGATIVE backslope and Reverse Slope Direction checked. 

Links from P1 to P3 and P3 to P2. 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report