Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer 2013 (Need help with simple Sub)

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
ccookusi
1962 Views, 15 Replies

Subassembly Composer 2013 (Need help with simple Sub)

Can someome (Peter Funk are you there?) take a look at the attached .pkt file and show me how I need to modify this file to hold the slope of L1.

In other words, I need L1 to act like the out-of-the-box sub LinkSLopeToElevation. Also, I want the user to be able to modify the slope after the corridor is built if necessary.

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

That looks pretty good to me. The changes I would make would be:

1. Add a input parameter for the ditch depth (if you want users to change this)

2. P2&L1 set the Elevation Target to DitchElev so that the depth of the ditch follows that profile (if it is targeted).

3. Change the Foreslope to take a postive number and then in P4&L3 use a "-" in front of variable. "-DitchBS"

4. Change Ditch Botton to Ditch Bottom Width or Ditch Width. I got confused by the value

5. Figure out what you want to happen if the bottom of the ditch is above EG. Do you add a berm or do a straight cut from P1? You might want to add P3 as an Auxiliary Point and then check it's elevation vs EG. If it is above EG, then continue down from P2 otherwise add the ditch and cut up. The tricky one is where P3 would be above EG, but P2 is below EG.

By having the slopes as input fields in SAC, you can modify them both when the SA is used and at each station in the corridor model.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 16
ccookusi
in reply to: ccookusi

Ok.

Although my problem lies in P2&L1

What do I put in the properties to hold the L1 slope?

Should I, or do I, need to use a different "Point Geometry Type"?

For Slope, I have an input/output parameter "DitchFS" for the user to enter.

What do I put in Delta Y?

Can you post a screenshot of what I have attached?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 4 of 16

I didn't see anything wrong with L1. As the ditch gets deeper, the -3:1 holds. What are you seeing?

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 16
ccookusi

If I use "Slope and Delta X" it holds the value for Delta X and subsequently doesn't follow the ditch profile target.

If I use "Slope and Delta Y", same..

All I want is for it to hold the foreslope, follow the ditch profile then tie into surface.

Can you post a screenshot of the properties panel to acheive this?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 6 of 16

I've attached a screen shot and an update of the pkt file. I think you are there with the Delta Y, just flip one value in the P2 element and you're done. (Unless i'm missing something).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 16
ccookusi

My Delta Y needed to be a negative value was the answer.

Thanks.

Would you have time to help me with one other subassembly?

If so, atttached is a simple pavement sub

I am having trouble with the superelevation aspect.

I don't know how to set it properly.

If I use (see attached), it uses "Right Outside Lane" calcs or both sides.

In other words, how do I need to modify this so it properly applies the left ouside lane and right outside lane super data?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 8 of 16

There are a couple of ways to do this but the basic way is to set a variable for the lane slope and then fill in that value based on input from the user/system.

One method would be to do a switch statement based on the "side" variable. If the side is "right" then set the slope using the API to the Right Lane Outside slope otherwise use the Left Lane Outside slope.

You could take it another step by having the SA prompt for Inside or Outside Lane.

The last way would be to ask which of the 8 possible values you want to use. This is what we do in our new SA because of all the different ways that you could set a lane. For example in a divided highway a lane might go to the right, but be on left side of the median and therefore it would use the left inside slope.

Another way to do this is to make a road section subassembly that would do both the left and right side of the road in a single subassembly. We've done some of these for Germany where the whole road works together to set the lane slope as well as the subbase slope, shoulders and ditch. If I was making SA for my work, I would take this approach because it gives me more control over the road section. I would either model from edge of shoulder to edge of shoulder and attach cut and fill or I might just model daylight to daylight if the job was consistent enough.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 16
ccookusi

One method would be to do a switch statement based on the "side" variable. If the side is "right" then set the slope using the API to the Right Lane Outside slope otherwise use the Left Lane Outside slope.

Can you show me how the above is done with a screenshot or two?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 10 of 16

Here is a screen shot and a simple PKT file that shows one way to do it.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 16
ccookusi

Ok.
Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 12 of 16
ccookusi

Peter,

Thanks for your help.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 13 of 16
ccookusi

Peter,

Why is it when I switch the side to the left, my lane slope becomes steeper in the preview pane? (Layout Mode)

Also, Is there a way to add a user input slope?

See Attached..

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram
Message 14 of 16
diegoal

Hello,

Do you figured out what is the problem with the left side?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 16
LeafRiders
in reply to: diegoal

Pretty sure if Mr. Peter Funk attached some of the basic .pkt files on his next post he would be seen as even more of a hero to the SAC world. Everyone would be more versatile as a result. I've looked high and low for some solid examples of .pkt files for both the "ShoulderExtendAll" and "LaneSuperelevationAOR" to get started and nothing has shown up. For the most part I have some minor changes to make to the existing SAs. Anyone have a source of the stock subassemblies that are saved as .pkt format? Thanks in advance!

Message 16 of 16

Peter,

How can I add an option to change the default grade for this simple assembly?

When not using superelevation, I would like to have an input parameter for grade.

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
16 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report