AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 1 of 9 (878 Views)
Accepted Solution

SubAssembly Composer - Intersection TwoPointsSlope - not calculating as expected

878 Views, 8 Replies
10-08-2013 03:36 PM

Hello,

All I need to do is intersect from P1 a sideslope (1:1) and from P2 a superelevation slope (-2%) to create point P3.  However, the resulting P3 ends up near point P1 for some reason. 

I am having troubles understanding why the calculated point P3 is not working properly.  Maybe someone here can enlighten me?

This is my 1st real attempt at using SAC and I know I'm missing a small step here.

Attached is the .pkt file and a .pdf of issue.

Thx.

Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 2 of 9 (866 Views)

Re: SA Composer - Intersection TwoPointsSlope - not calculating as expected

10-08-2013 04:11 PM in reply to: KPerison

This is the finished sketch of the shoulder SA.

*Expert Elite*
KMercier_C3D
Message 3 of 9 (833 Views)

Re: SubAssembly Composer - Intersection TwoPointsSlope - not calculating as expe

10-09-2013 05:21 AM in reply to: KPerison

I've never used the Superelevation type as an Input Parameter. When dealing with superelevation I always make a "Define Variable" at the very start of the flowchart named "SuperShoulderSlopeCalc" (or whatever type of super I am looking at) with the equation:

if((Side=Left)AND(SE.HasLeftSO), SE.LeftSO,
                                                         if((Side=Right)AND(SE.HasRightSO),SE.RightSO,
                                                                                                                    CType(-math.abs(DefaultSlope),Double)))

Where DefaultSlope is an Input Parameter used if there is no superelevation. Note that the SO looks at outside shoulder, you would want to change these to LO if you are wanting to look at outside lane.

Kati Mercier, P.E.

Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional and AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®
Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 4 of 9 (807 Views)

10-09-2013 09:22 AM in reply to: KPerison

Thank you Kati! That worked great.  Don't think I would have ever figured out that expression though?

One final NOOB question.

When adding point and link codes do I need to "Define Variable" for each new code? Such as link codes like "Top, Datum, Pave1, etc" and point codes like "EPS, ETW, etc". Do you add every possible code you might need into separate "Defined Variables" and group them all into a "sequence" at the start of the flowchart?

Again, Thanks!

Kelly

*Expert Elite*
KMercier_C3D
Message 5 of 9 (800 Views)

10-09-2013 10:10 AM in reply to: KPerison

You can hard enter the codes directly into the point codes and link codes as strings if you want (don't forget to use the quotes around them if you do). I think this is the easiest to do when it is a simple subassembly to begin with. 

The benefit to adding a sequence with all the codes set as Define Variables is that it allows you to later change all the codes in one place instead of hunting and pecking through the whole flowchart for every instance that you want to change. 

Kati Mercier, P.E.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional and AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®
Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 6 of 9 (786 Views)

10-09-2013 03:16 PM in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Thank you Kati for your great advice. 

The SA is working now as is. However, the last piece of the puzzle to make it fully functional would be to allow the user to select the superelevation parameter vs hard coding in the "LeftOutsideShoulder" or "RightOutsideShoulder" super.  Sometimes we match our shoulder superelevation to the lane slopes. It would ensure the shoulders really do match the lane slopes. As well, gives more flexibility to be able to use on an Inside Median Shoulder.

The PKT file is attached with a screenshot.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be most greatful.

*Expert Elite*
LeafRiders
Message 7 of 9 (273 Views)

04-22-2014 03:48 PM in reply to: KPerison

Was the Subassembly Composer PKT file within the .zip file? All I'm gettting is some other foreign file types. This is similar to a solution I'm trying to resolve and was hoping for some insight from your workflow.

*Expert Elite*
KMercier_C3D
Message 8 of 9 (265 Views)

Re: SubAssembly Composer - Intersection TwoPointsSlope - not calculating as expe

04-22-2014 03:52 PM in reply to: KPerison

Instead of extracting the zip all you need to do is change the text of the file name from .zip to .pkt. 

Kati Mercier, P.E.

Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 9 of 9 (260 Views)

04-22-2014 04:08 PM in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Since you are interested. The version listed above made you input an extension width for the subase layers which did not maintain a minimum topsoil depth when the superelevation transitioned into full super.  

Here is the finished version.   I modified the subbase layers to automatically maintain a minimum depth of topsoil no matter what the superelevation grade is. 

Have fun. 

And Katie thanks again for all your help. Kooooooooodoooooos!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs