Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubAssembly Composer - Grade vs Superelevation - Decision and Switch Example

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
KPerison
8367 Views, 4 Replies

SubAssembly Composer - Grade vs Superelevation - Decision and Switch Example

Hello all,

I just recently began using subassembly composer and reached out to Kaitie Mercier for some advice to get me out of the starting blocks.  Thanks to the superelevation solution she provided I was able build a custom shoulder assembly for my project.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/SubAssembly-Composer-Intersection-TwoPointsSl...

However, that solution would only allow the user to select Left/Right and hard coded only one parameter for superelevation (OutsideShoulder in my case). I wanted the user to be able to select any of the eight possible superelevation combinations (Left/Right, Lane/Shoulder, Inside/Outside).

What I came up with was a Decision/Switch flowchart that

1. Decides wether to use superelevation or not

2. If no, uses the Default Grade

3. If yes, pulls the appropriate super value based on the user selection for the SuperParameter variable

4. Then stores that grade value for use elsewhere.

I did not find any other examples other than Katie's original recommendation, so I thought I'd take a run at it.

I am still very new to this so I don't know if this example can be simplified or use other methods entirely.

Please feel free to test, comment and post your own revised version.

I tested the subassembly and it worked exactly as planned.  However, when I was constructing the "Draw Link" sequence it seems to only work when "Slope and Delta X" is used to specify width. But if I tried to use "Slope and Delta Y" for Vertical Deflection the link would not draw.

Can anyone tell me why that is?

Thanks, looking forward to some good feed back and examples.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

When it fails, what is your DeltaY? It works fine for me when i use GradeValue for the slope and -0.5 for the Delta Y.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5

OMG! You are correct. 

Of course a negative slope and positive DeltaY are not going to draw anything!  I just need to ensure both slope and Delta values are positive or negative.

Ok, in my defense it was 2am at the time. So I'm going to take a mulligan on that one. 🙂

Did you have any feed back on the workflow to pass on the Superelevation  or Default Grade value?

Thx.

Message 4 of 5
LeafRiders
in reply to: KPerison

I'm not big on posting on old topics, but I'm basically trying to do the exact same thing as what is mentioned here. While I can get the superelevation part of things to work. I'd like to be able to control whether the user can keep the default input values as the slope settings in the custom subassembly by way of selecting "none".  I just can't seem to figure out how to build this into the same Custom SA. Did you happen to figure this one out in the meantime?

Message 5 of 5
KPerison
in reply to: LeafRiders

LeafRiders,

If the user would like to use a default super/slope value, I have used a nested flowchart that first uses a desision switch that askes what "GradeValue" to use the default grade or a superelevation grade by way of some input parameters that ask 1) the default grade 2) whether to use super or not.  

Then the flowchart branches of to calculate the super values based on the users input parameters or the default slope.

Attached is a simple LinkDeltaYGradeSuper Subassembly that shows the flowcharts, decisions and swithches.

Hope this helps you, I know it took me a while to wrap myself around how to do this. So glad to help.

Kelly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report