Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubAssembly Composer - Converting an Angle to a Slope

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
KPerison
3001 Views, 3 Replies

SubAssembly Composer - Converting an Angle to a Slope

Hello,

I have defined a retaining wall subassembly that has elevation targets for the TopofWall, ToeofWall, BaseofWall and BottomofFtg.  The user is able to input the Wall batter in degrees (3 = 3 degrees, 0 = Vertical, etc).  This works pretty well as is. 

What I want to be able to do now is be able to target the "ToeofWall" point to a surface rather than a profile.  So, I added an Auxiliary point to the SA that was to begin at the top of the wall and target a surface. But the only function is "Slope to Surface", so I need to convert the user input of degrees into a slope the function can use.

I know the basic Trig formula is                 TAN (degrees)*100=Percentage

so

Here is what I tried initially in the SA         (Math.Tan(WallBatter))*100

This places the AP1 point "close" to line L1, but never on top of it.  I suspect I might need to convert the WallBatter angle into RADIANS.

Which I tried to formulate as well with no luck .............. (Math.Tan (-WallBatter*(Math.Pi/180)))*100

Can anyone help me out to get pont AP1 intersecting the surface taget at the same angle as the WallBatter? 

Refer to the attached PDF for a sketch of the issue.  Thx.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
fcernst
in reply to: KPerison

the same angle as the WallBatter? 

Slope to surface for AL1 = L1.Slope

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 4
KPerison
in reply to: fcernst

Well, that was easy!!! I forgot you could just "call" the property from another link. Thank you.
Message 4 of 4
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: KPerison

If you didn't have the luxury of already having L1 to reference. I believe the formula you would be looking for is:

Slope=(-1/math.tan(wallbatter*math.pi/180))

No need to multiply by 100, and without the 1/ you are getting x/y instead of y/x (for slope). 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report