Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure label when there is a mix of circular and box pipes.

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
rkmcswain
2935 Views, 23 Replies

Structure label when there is a mix of circular and box pipes.

In the case of a pipe network structure, where one pipe is circular (say 60") and the other pipe is box (say 5'x4'), how can you get the "connected pipes" label to reflect [size in feet X size in feet] for the box pipe and [size in inches] for the circular pipe?

An expression maybe? But I don't see how you can conditionally affect a portion of the "connected pipes" label since it's one label object.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Jay_B
in reply to: rkmcswain

What do you mean by "connected pipes label? are you labeling the Pipes or the pipe types as part of struc label?

When I label the Pipes with a Pipe style usinng "material name" it wants to show them both as a diameter value.

If I apply 2 separate pipe styles I get the attached. The label on the right is using "Inner Pipe Width" x "Inner Pipe Height".

So if labeling in a structure style it doesn't appear possible because of the difference in the way it looks at the "material name" values both as dia.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean by "connected pipes label?

This.

conpipe.png

@Anonymous wrote:

So if labeling in a structure style it doesn't appear possible because of the difference in the way it looks at the "material name" values both as dia.

I don't know about material name, but you could form an IF statement to check the "cross sectional shape" (Circular vs. Rectangular) and then build the label based on that.

If circular, then <size>"

If rectangular, then <width>' x <height>'

The problem is that "connected pipes" is only defined once to create a label for each connected pipes, with no opportunity to modify the individual strings with an expression.

Message 4 of 24
Jay_B

I see.

Have you tried adding a "Text for Each" component to your structure label style?

This will expand the available options to be used in the label.

connected pipes.JPG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 24
rkmcswain

Oops. My earlier screenshot was incorrect.

The existing style we are using *is* using a "Text for Each" component.

But the problem I described still remains.

The label is built using a single "Text for Each" component and defined (in our case) for curcular pipe:

(for example: <flowline> <circular pipe size>" - <pipe direction>)

...and that label string applies to all connected pipes. There is no way to conditionally change the label based on pipe shape.

So for a [5'x4'] box, the label simply says [60"]

Message 6 of 24
rkmcswain

Wow. It's hard to believe this isn't a problem for more people.

Hasn't anyone else used pipe networks with circular and rectangular pipes at the same structure?

Message 7 of 24
Cadguru42

@rkmcswain wrote:

Hasn't anyone else used pipe networks with circular and rectangular pipes at the same structure?

I actually just created an existing pipe network where a 6' x 3' box culvert turns into a 48" RCP, but we don't know exactly where it changes or how, so I've just got a null structure where we guess it changes. I've got issues with box culverts and incoming pipes that I posted just a few minutes ago. Not quite the same, but similar because I need a round pipe to dump into a large square pipe, but with no structure.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 24
Jay_B

I'm not seeing any way to label the pipe types per connected pipe within the structure labels when the pipe types vary.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 24
troma

@rkmcswain wrote:

We don't label the pipe type or diameter/size at the structure, only on the pipe.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 24
Cadguru42
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

@rkmcswain wrote:

We don't label the pipe type or diameter/size at the structure, only on the pipe.

If there are more than two pipes connected to a structure, how do you know what the inverts are for each pipe? Do you label each pipe in plan view with inverts from both ends? Seems like that would make a very large label, especially if the pipe is a short one.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 24
troma
in reply to: Cadguru42

Inverts we do label at the structure.  Either at the bottom of the profile view, or if there is no profile view for a smaller job, then listed out in plan view next to the structure.

That doesn't change the fact that we only show the pipe size on the pipe.

Mark Green

Message 12 of 24
Jay_B

Or the fact that the inverts and direction will still label ok when connected pipes involve various part types such as box vs. round.

The issue is when trying to show more than one connected pipe type within a structure label.

We don't label pipe size / type at structure either just on the pipes.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 13 of 24
troma

Jay, engertech, R.K.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be argumentative.  I probably shouldn't have bothered posting since I had nothing helpful to say.  I was only answering the question "Hasn't anyone else used pipe networks with circular and rectangular pipes at the same structure?"  The answer is that they likely have, but possibly haven't run into this issue due to differing labeling requirements.  That was in no way intended to diminish the importance of this issue, since clearly many people do need to label in the way you are attempting.

Mark Green

Message 14 of 24
rkmcswain

Message 15 of 24
troma

We show the direction, similar to you.  N, S, E, W.

[Little side note: If a pipe direction is not exactly North, C3D will still label it as N, up to a certain tolerance.  Then it will label as NW or NE.  Does anyone know how to adjust that tolerance, so more pipes will be simply N or W, and avoid the NW designation?]

We assume that the contractor can look at the plan portion to see the pipe size, can look at the adjoining plan/profile drawing for more information (PVC/concrete etc.) and can mentally connect the northern pipe to the invert labeled 'N', the westerly pipe to the invert labeled 'W' etc.  Is that too much to assume?

Mark Green

Message 16 of 24
rkmcswain

@troma wrote:

Is that too much to assume?

Here? Yes!

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 24
troma

Well, I'm not going to judge.  We put 'useless' information on drawings too, like the specified diameter of Water Valve (clue: it's the same as the watermain that it's on!).   But the less the better, so far as I'm concerned.  Less for us to worry about updating, anyway!

Mark Green

Message 18 of 24
GZE
Advocate

My work around is to insert pipe description in label style to distinguish circular and rectangular pipes
Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 19 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: GZE

@GZE wrote:
My work around is to insert pipe description in label style to distinguish circular and rectangular pipes

I don't understand what you mean.

There is only one entry (text for each), which creates a text label for each connected pipe.

So that label can only be defined once.

No matter what you insert as part of the label, it will be used on ALL pipes at that structure.

Message 20 of 24
troma

I think the point is to use the Description rather than the Diameter in the label.

Then you just have to ensure that all your descriptions are right!

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report