Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure block graphically inaccurate, only within pipe network...

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tgsearles
820 Views, 13 Replies

Structure block graphically inaccurate, only within pipe network...

Civil 3D 2011:

The block I've selected to represent a structure within the pipe network is coming in graphically inaccurate.  The block consists of a circle with a solid hatch, and comes in fine when manually inserted in to the drawing, but when used as part of the pipe network it shows up with the hatch being an "octagon" rather than a circle.  Not unlike a circle would be when the drawing is regenerated at an extreme zoom-out, and then viewed after zooming back in.  The circle border of the block is fine, nice and Circular, but the hatch...

Within the dialogue box for Structure Style, the preview of the block reflects the same inaccuracy and the parameters are as follows:

-Plan tab

-User defined block is selected, as is the block in question

-Size Options are set to Use fixed scale.

I've tried selecting 'Use drawing scale' as the size option and sizing accordingly, but no change.  Regen after Regen with zoom-ins yield no results...

The main problem is that it's coming in on paper with the solid octagon surrounded by the circle border.  It'd be one thing if it was messed up in the program and still okay on paper, but no such luck.

Any ideas?

An afterthought... most every block I have selected for use as a structure within the pipe network has similar graphical generation issues within the preview screen in the Plan tab of the Structure Style dialogue box.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
el_nath
in reply to: tgsearles

For the block, try defining the hatch with a polygon of say 20 sides inscribed in a circle.  Delete the polygon, keep the circle.  See if that works and please report the results.

My thoughts on this are that maybe only straight lines are being recognized.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, EIT

Civil Engineer

AECOM

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 3 of 14
civilspace

Alternatively, without having to resort to polygons try this:

• Run the MAPCLEAN command
  • Select manually just your circle as the object to work on (in your block definition)
  • Don't select any "Cleanup Actions"
  • Under "Cleanup Methods", set the "Convert Selected Objects" option to "Circle to Polyline"
  • Click on "Finish"

Now, see how it looks in the pipe network.

Regards,
Anthony
Message 4 of 14
tgsearles
in reply to: el_nath

No luck with this method.  But what did seem to work was using a polar array with lineweight increased for both the circle and the arrayed lines.

We'll see how it plots...

Thanks, Nathan.

Todd

(Any more ideas on how to affect the solid hatch are greatly appreciated...)

Message 5 of 14
tgsearles
in reply to: civilspace

The circle is just as smooth as before, and the hatch is just as polygonal.

The issue seems to be somewhere within the transfer of the block to be used in the pipe network.  When the block is routinely inserted into the drawing it looks fine, as it does with the original hatch-to-circle border method.

Thanks, Anthony.

Todd

Message 6 of 14
el_nath

I tried to recreate it, and did using both a hatched circle and an aec polygon in the block (just to test both) .  Zoom into either the top or bottom of the hatch circle in the profile view, then regen.  It should fill in.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, EIT

Civil Engineer

AECOM

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 7 of 14
tgsearles

Not sure what you mean by 'zoom to top or bottom in the profile view'.  Can you clarify?

Todd

Message 8 of 14
el_nath

Just zoom in and regen.

Before Zoom

Before Regen...

Clipboard02.png

After Regen

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 9 of 14
tgsearles

These particular blocks are being used in the plan view (not sure if that matters.)  Here is an example of the result of a regen, no matter how far the zoom-in.

Message 10 of 14
tgsearles

On the plot the polygon you see is an actual octagon, with very obvious gaps between the hatch and the circle border.

Message 11 of 14
el_nath

I just tried it in plan; zooming really close (very close to an edge) will shows that regen does solve it.  However, as for the plotting, I'm not sure what to say.  Maybe try plotting to DWF before sending it to the printer?

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 12 of 14
tgsearles

I think what I'll have to do for now is put the pipe network structures on a no-plot layer, and just insert the blocks into model space so they're the ones shown on the plot.

Until I find the actual cure anyway...  If you come across anything where a regen isn't needed let me know?

Thanks again for your help.

Message 13 of 14
Matt.Anderson

VIEWRES?
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 14 of 14
jmayo-EE

Try this. Convert the circles to plines with Mapclean. Convert them to 3d plines with the C3D tools (Modify tab, expand the Design Panel) to get the circles converted to tiny chords. Convert the 3d plines back to 2d plines and hatch. This may work as it will remove the arcs completely.

In order to get the C3D conversion commands to work, you may need the AutoCAD Convert command to get ploylines converted to 2dpolylines.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report