Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Label Expression - Circular vs Rectangular

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sirjoelsph
594 Views, 5 Replies

Structure Label Expression - Circular vs Rectangular

I'm trying to create a custom expression in a structure table that will list the "size" of the structure, wheter it be a circular or rectangular structure.  My column simply states size and I want it to label 5' for a circular or 4'x4' for a rectangular (or whatever the specific sizes are).  The thought was to create an IF function, but Structure Shape was not available to use in expressions (among other problems).  Short of using the description field (tedious) as a workaround, does anyone have any ideas on this?

In this example - CB-104 is a rectangular structure and CB-106 is a circular.  I'd like the CB-104 size to read 4'x4'.

Storm Sewer Table.PNG

Thanks for the help.

-JOEL

Civil 3D 2014 SP1

-JOEL
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
troma
in reply to: sirjoelsph

Would: IF({Inner Structure Diameter}>0,
be a good start?

The problem is I don't know where to go next. You can't get an expression to output text, only a formulaic result, so 4'x4' can't be done within the expression. Can you use an expression to control the text height of cell contents within a table?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 6
sirjoelsph
in reply to: troma

I've tried a few permutations of your suggestion hoping to get something like IF({Inner Structure Length}>0,{Inner Structure Diameter},{Inner Structure Length}x{Inner Structure Width}) to work. Part of the problem is that IF({Inner Structure Length}>0 doesn't sort out round structures from rectangular structures.  The other problem is the limitation of expressions to deal with text like you pointed out.

I'm not sure that the text height expression trick would work since I can't sort the two structure types apart.  I wish that {Structure Shape} was an option inside of expressions.

-JOEL
Message 4 of 6
Joe-Bouza

FYI you can set up your part list to populate the description with the size in the format you wish then the need for if goes away

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
sirjoelsph
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, thanks for pointing out the 'use the description field for overcoming all of Civil 3D's shortcomings' trick.  Using it was a thought originally but I was hoping to find a way around that.  I tried to set it up using the Use Size Name From Parts List As Description but it brings in the huge name and not just the 24"x36" that I'm looking for.  So regardless of what that option is set for, I would have to go into each structure description to manually change it, and it wouldn't be dynamic if I were to swap out a part.

I think by finding out all the ways that I can't get this to work, I'm pointing myself in the right direction for the only way I was afraid that it would work - Part Builder.  I'm thinking next I'll have to make a new optional property for all my structures that populates the information I want so I can use that to label.  It should work, but it was more of an undertaking than I wanted to have to do.

Thanks all - still hoping for some ideas!

-JOEL
Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Right! and the long name in the part list can be edited to serve your purpose in perpetuity. Yes that long description generated by partbuilder is editable just change it and you should be golden.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report