Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Invert Label Order?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
randyspear6624
2705 Views, 8 Replies

Structure Invert Label Order?

I use a structure label to label pipe invert and directions in profile but there doesn't seem to be any logic to the order in which it displays them. Example, I have a pipe run in a left to right profile going from west (upstream) to east (downstream); some of the time the inverts will label the east inverts first which means it appears on the west side of the structure. Technically nothing is wrong because I have the direction included in the label but it just makes sense to display them on the same side as the pipe (where possible).

The only reason I can think of for this is that the label style is looking at the object ID's for the connected pipes and ordering by that....

Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jay_B
in reply to: randyspear6624

We use the 3rd party Sincpac C3D for this. It has a SortConnectedPipes command which sorts the inverts in descending order in structure labels.

Using OOTB Civil 3d the only way is to try to Connect the pipes all in order AFAIK. 

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
troma
in reply to: Jay_B

Which means that if you have four pipes connected at an intersection and you have a West-East profile and a South-North profile, it is totally impossible to get the inverts to show up in the right order in both profiles.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

What is the 'right' order? We always place them with the smaller pipes first and label the direction from which they come or go. So as long as the smallest incoming pipe is first, and the outgoing is last, it is consistent throughout the project.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Well, isn't that nice for you! 😉
I understand that 'right' is a relative term for this.
For us, (& for the OP too if I read correctly) we want West on the West, East on the East, North on the North, South on the South.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 9
randyspear6624
in reply to: Jeff_M

Sorry, I probably didn't explain thoroughly. I have the label rotated 90 and anchored to graph bottom with an offset to appear as though it is a data band (AFAIK you can't achieve directions with data bands). So we want the upstream invert on the upstream side and vice versa, that isn't always the case.

Message 7 of 9
randyspear6624
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks for the tip. We don't have enought user base in C3D to justify purchasing addtional tools yet.

I dont have it front of me right now but are you saying I could disconnect my pipes and then reconnect them in order to achieve this?

Message 8 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: randyspear6624

That's correct, Randy.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 9

THANK YOU!  This has been driving me crazy for years now. I, too, detached all the connecting pipes, then reattached them in the order I wanted them listed and presto! It worked beautifully! Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report