Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage calculations and grading tools

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
457 Views, 13 Replies

Storage calculations and grading tools

I built a containment dike using the grading functions in Autocad Civil 3D. I set up the feature lines at the top toes of the embankment and graded nicely down to the original dtm. I want to use user defined contour to get the interior storage from the original dtm up to a selected elevation within the containment dike. The containment dike forms an enclosed area. I know I could use infill and add a false bottom to the embankment surface (triangulation from bottom toe of embankment across to opposite embankment) but I want to check storage from original ground dtm.

Is there a workaround method to do this without creating infill? I know I need to get down to two surfaces to get a calculation.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Make a new surface. Paste in the original ground surface. Then add the new data (featurelines) to build the dike on top of the original surface. Now you have one surface showing your final condition.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Then there is no need in creating a surface from the embankment?

Just add the feature lines to the original dtm in a blank surface?

Message 4 of 14
troma

Two issues here:
1. if you did it the way I just said you will have to delete data from that area as well as adding the new data. Sorry I left that out.
2. If you make a surface with a hole in it and paste it in you will end up with a surface with a hole in it! i.e. no data in the middle.

So you have options.
1. Do as I said before and manually delete data as necessary (messy).
2. Build two surfaces of your dike (e.g. north and south parts) and paste them both onto the copy of OG. (I think this is best.)
3. Build one surface of your dike. Paste it onto copy of OG. Make another copy of OG and give it a border to match the inside bottom of slope of the dike and paste that in on top to get your composit.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 14
fcernst

I know I could use infill and add a false bottom to the embankment surface (triangulation from bottom toe of embankment across to opposite embankment) but I want to check storage from original ground dtm.

Just a quick way:

Get the volume of your containment surface level using the infill like you say.

Then do a volume surface calc between your infill bottom and EG. Then add that bit of fill  and subtract that bit of cut to your overall containment level volume.

Done.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 14
Joe-Bouza

If I understand correctly you only graded the berm of the dike and the interior bottom is original ground?

I might make a new surface an paste OG into then the berm, now you can compute from a OG to a user contour (I think)

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you for all the comments.

I thought about weedeing out all the survey points from within the embankment outside bottom toes and leaving a blank spot for my embankment to reside.

I also need to make a surface of the embankment at some time to calculate the volume of fill.

Wish there was an easier way to merge the two surfaces to create my depression for storage calc.

Have a good day everyone.

Message 8 of 14
fcernst

Don't do that...bad practice..

If your inside toe is all Daylighted nicely down to EG like I think you are saying, use that Daylight as a Non-Destructive Boundary for EG and paste the containment berm and this 'EG bottom" together,  like Joe has said.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 14
troma
in reply to: fcernst

Well I'm a little slow...just realised you don't need the OG (EG) outside the berm at all, it's irrelevant, right?
I think Fred has explained the method pretty well here.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Yes, the embankment slopes to daylight on both slopes.

I thought about doing what you suggest (use inside bottom toe @ daylight) to create a border to cut out this portion of EG. You could add this existing bottom to the embankment surface to create one surface?

Thanks.

Message 11 of 14
troma

Yes

Mark Green

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

I'll try to get the two surfaces into one.

Creating a false bottom using infill just seemed easier for me due to my lack of knowledge.

Not quite sure how to pull off the two into one trick. Do I create the embankment surface, then cut the boundary on the inside @ daylight under the embankment surface?

Bear with me. I'm new to this software.

Message 13 of 14
troma

Yes, you're on the right track.
What do you have at the bottom of slope? A feature line?
If so, you can copy it and explode the copy a couple of times. Personally, I would then convert it to a 2D polyline. (Joe will point out the need to weed it too. Featurelines created from gradings can have loads of vertices near each other, weeding removes some of them.)
So then you make a new surface, paste in the EG, then add that polyline as an Outer, Non-destructive boundary.
Then paste that surface into your berm surface (or a copy of it, depending on your needs.)

Mark Green

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

Yes, the daylight line at the inside bottom of the pond is a feature slope.

I'll give it the old college try.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report