Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped Offset Fatal Error

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kmedeiros1
749 Views, 1 Reply

Stepped Offset Fatal Error

I am trying to create a grade with an arc. i have an arc with a 50' radius, i right click on the arc and select convert to polyline.  Then i select the elevations from surface icon to have the arc to have the same elevations as the surface i am working on.  so that all works

here's the problem,

I try to use the stepped offset command so i can have a -2% grade.  I select stepped offset icon and set a distance 10', then select the arc I am trying to offset, then type g for grade and type -2 for percent, then it fatal errors after a second of thinking.  It worked on a different arc earlier, but since then any arc I do it fatal errors.  Any ideas?  Is the dwg too large and it cant process? 

I am using AutoCAD Civil 3d 2010

SOLVED:  I MADE THE ARC A FEATURE LINE INSTEAD OF CONVERTING IT TO POLYLINE AND FOLLOWED THE REST OF THE STEPS.  WORKED JUST FINE

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
laloesch
in reply to: kmedeiros1

I realize this is an old post from 2013, but this bug is now back with Civil 3d 2022.  Crash happens probably ever 3rd or 4th time you use the offset feature line command sequentially.  In fact it almost always results in a crash 99.9% of the time.  It's a really bad bug. My guess is that Autodesk programmers made a change in the command coding and unknowingly reintroduced the bug from an earlier version via copying and pasting older coding.  This has happened before with their new releases of Civil 3d.   

But back to the subject in hand, it does not matter how many or how few feature lines you have in a drawing, same thing over and over again.  Also does not seem to matter if you are in a completely blank template straight from Civil 3d's startup drawing options with no xrefs or attachments of any kind still crashes after using the feature line stepped offset command.  Our entire office of over 500 people are having this exact same error with 2022. 

Our cad coordinator has tried to isolate the problem from a drawing template perspective, order of command sequences when grading, as well as scrutinizing what is drawn via feature line and has determined that it is none of the above and almost certainly a bug in this version of Civil 3d program coding with that particular command.  Autodesk SHOULD FIX THIS as it's a nasty bug and is costing companies like mine 10,000's of dollars in having to redo work.  With this particular fatal error the drawing typically does not successfully save a recoverable file.  Super, super, annoying.  

This has been a problem ever since Civil 3d 2022 rolled out and we are not happy about it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report