Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Station Labels on a Vertical Curve

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
troma
1882 Views, 9 Replies

Station Labels on a Vertical Curve

I have two different label styles set up under Profile > Label Styles > Major Station.

I would like to have one of these labels applied to tangents in my profile and a the other one to curves.

Can't seem to get there myself.  Any suggestions?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
murray-clack
in reply to: troma

There are default labels for both Tangents and Vertical Curves

They are located: 

Profile > Label Styles > Line (for your tangents)

Profile > Label Styles > Curve (for your Crest and Sag curves)

Message 3 of 10
troma
in reply to: murray-clack

Not sure what you mean by a default label.  If I right-click on either 'Line' or 'Curve' I can edit the Label Style Defaults, which sets up the default settings for a new label.  But this doesn't create or add any label to the profile.

I use a label set to pull together the various labels and add them to my profile.  My set contains a Line label (to show percentage grade), a Grade Break label (to show the elevation at grade breaks), a Major Station label to show the elevation at regular intervals, and Curve lables to show curve data where there is a vertical curve.

What I am trying to achieve is to have the regular elevation labels show at different intervals on a vertical curve than on a line.  I have the two station labels set up at the different intervals, but I can't get them to only be added to either lines or curves.

Mark Green

Message 4 of 10
AllenJessup

When you say "regular elevation labels" which labels do you mean. The ones shown in the Band?

Maybe a picture would help.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

As requested:

curve elevations.PNG

Not the band, but my Major Station label that shows the elevation at regular intervals.  I'd like to show them at 15m on tangents and every 5m on curves.  The current method is just to add them every 5m, then Ctrl+click to select and delete the unwanted ones on tangents.  I'm looking for a better way.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mark Green

Message 6 of 10
AllenJessup

The only way I can see of doing it would be to create a Major Station label for each tangent and curve. Add the Major Station to the Profile Label, set the increment, uncheck the boxes that open start and end station for editing and edit the station range.

That seems more work than what you're doing now.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
troma

Hmm.....

It wouldn't actually have to be a new label for each tangent and curve, but would have to be re-added and have the start & end set as you said.  That does seem like more work; I'm trying to automate!

I think since we only have a curve in about 10% of all road profiles, we'll just add the 15m style by default, and it we need the 5m one we can add it later, maybe set the start and end stations to restrict it to the curve.....hey we could be on to something!  This is better than what we were doing, if not quite what I wanted.  I don't need to restrict the start and end of the 15m, since it will be perfectly overlapped by the 5m style, so it can run straight through the curve with the 5m ones on top.  All I have to do is add the 5m style, and set the start and end for it.  That's cool.

What do you think?

It's good to come here and have someone to bounce ideas off. I like it when good ideas pop up out of thoughts being bounced around.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

@troma wrote:

Hmm.....

It wouldn't actually have to be a new label for each tangent and curve, but would have to be re-added and have the start & end set as you said.

What do you think?

It's good to come here and have someone to bounce ideas off. I like it when good ideas pop up out of thoughts being bounced around.

I suppose I meant a new occurrence of the label style, not an actual new style.

I think that's a good idea! Gets you closer to what you want.

That is a good feature of the discussion groups. One person may not have the complete answer but when we can collaborate good things happen.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
murray-clack

What if you created a series of [null?] structures in plan spaced apart accordingly where their tops snap to the finished surface, projected them onto the profile, and then used a label style to display its surface elevation?

For the null structure, create a style so that its geometry will not plot

Message 10 of 10
troma
in reply to: murray-clack

Murray, that's an interesting one, but not for me thanks.  For starters, I normally wouldn't have a surface, just a profile, and I wouldn't want to go make a surface (or data shortcut it in) just for this.  It also feels like creating structures (and a 'dummy' pipe network to go on?) would be more work than other ways.

I could just use a profile view label and snap to the points I want to show, but that wouldn't update.

But hey, I still like any suggestion, even if I'm not going to use it.  Definately outside the box!

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report