Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split drawing in half—but using Sheet Sets

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
troma
1583 Views, 5 Replies

Split drawing in half—but using Sheet Sets

I've seen comments from others that they use a 'one sheet per drawing' policy to avoid conflicts of overlapping text in modelspace, to allow more drafters to work on a project and to cut down on file size and corruption.  We have typically had two or three sheets in a drawing, depending on the length of a street.

For this project, when setting it up, I was considering changing our approach towards one sheet per drawing.  Then I thought to myself "Hey, no problem, I can set it up as usual and split them later if I want to."  The idea being that with everything xreffed & dreffed it's no problem to SAVEAS and delete one layout out ot this drawing and delete the other out of the other drawing.  Hey presto I'm at a one sheet per drawing situation.  But there was one thing I didn't think about: the sheet set manager.

So now I was thinking of splitting up a drawing.  I have sheet number, title, description set up.  I have callout blocks on both sheets referencing each other and referencing other drawings, and I have callouts in other drawings referencing these sheets.

What do you think?  Have I snookered myself?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgordon
in reply to: troma

sheet manager is pretty flexible when it comes to renaming sheets.   I wouldn't worry about that.   That being said, it's probably just easier when running plan production to set it up as 1 layout per sheet.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 6
troma
in reply to: dgordon

Not sure if I explained myself the best.

"sheet manager is pretty flexible when it comes to renaming sheets."

That's ok, but I don't need to rename a sheet exactly.  I will need to point the existing data within the sheet set to a different sheet, in a different drawing file.

"it's probably just easier when running plan production to set it up as 1 layout per sheet."

I don't follow.  What's plan production?  What am I running?  What am I setting up?  Do you mean 1 layout per drawing?  Or what am I missing?

Thanks for the help.  I know that I'm not as deep into sheet sets as many others, so I appreciate any advice.  Currently my only idea is to delete the sheet from the set and import the new sheet.  Then I have to reenter all the data and redo the callouts in any drawing that is refferencing the sheet.

Mark Green

Message 4 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: troma

Every sheet has a target dwg and target layout. I think you can edit this in the sheet set property for each sheet. No computer in front of me right now but that's where I'd check first.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 6
troma
in reply to: mathewkol

Hey, that looks promising!

I'll let you know how it goes (if it goes).

Thanks.

Mark Green

Message 6 of 6
troma
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt, worked like a charm!

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report