Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splines are evil

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
HorizontalCurveGuy
520 Views, 8 Replies

Splines are evil

I ran across this little nugget in a Florida Dot document fro users moving from MS to C3d though you all might enjoy it

splines.PNG

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/ecso/downloads/documentation/AutodeskResources/Autocad-skills-you-need-to...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: HorizontalCurveGuy

Splines are evil. That's funny.

By the way, that document has a copyright notice, so you might consider removing the link from your original post. It is not unlikely that Master Graphics created the document for Florida DOT and not for the general public.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9

@HorizontalCurveGuy wrote:

I ran across this little nugget in a Florida Dot document fro users moving from MS to C3d though you all might enjoy it

splines.PNG

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/ecso/downloads/documentation/AutodeskResources/Autocad-skills-you-need-to...

That's funny because when you import a DGN C3D (Map) will create splines for the 3d polylines (or whatever they're called in MS). In 2013 (maybe 2012, can't remember exactly) this was a huge deal because it meant when importing mass points and breaklines from a DGN that the breaklines became splines instead of 3dpolys. At the time C3D couldn't make surfaces from splines, so in effect C3D 2013 was useless for us as we do that all the time. And SPLINEEDIT only works on a single spline at a time. If you have hundreds in a drawing you're screwed. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 9
Cadguru42
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Splines are evil. That's funny.

By the way, that document has a copyright notice, so you might consider removing the link from your original post. It is not unlikely that Master Graphics created the document for Florida DOT and not for the general public.

Best regards,

Tim

Copyright doesn't mean you can't link or quote from it. You just can't profit from it without permission from the author. Even these forums have a copyright notice on the bottom. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 9
annw2
in reply to: Cadguru42

I would second the opinion. I have been warning against using splines since the R14 autoCAD manual said to use them for contours.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 6 of 9

Note: the above link is intended for non-comercial pursuits
Message 7 of 9
HorizontalCurveGuy
in reply to: tcorey

Barn door is open, Tim. 🙂
Message 8 of 9

Yikes!
Message 9 of 9

SHoot!...

There goes my Tee Shirt idea 😮

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report