Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
262 Views, 9 Replies

Speed Problems

I am relatively new to Civil 3D with a little training in LDT but a long time user of AutoCAD. I have a project using about 11,000 points and some small raster data. The regens and normal commands like creating a layer are taking a very long time. As much as a few minutes to regen. I'm using a workstation with Hyper Threated Dual XEON 2.8ghz processors (4 threads), 1gb ram, nVidia 3400 graphics card and 15,000rpm scsi drives and the performance is not what I'd expect. Have any of you found performance issues or is it my point file creating the wait? This may be the typical number of points I will be working with in the future.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm also getting a load of crashes. "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:41a4d0b8$1_3@newsprd01... > I am relatively new to Civil 3D with a little training in LDT but a long > time user of AutoCAD. I have a project using about 11,000 points and some > small raster data. The regens and normal commands like creating a layer are > taking a very long time. As much as a few minutes to regen. I'm using a > workstation with Hyper Threated Dual XEON 2.8ghz processors (4 threads), 1gb > ram, nVidia 3400 graphics card and 15,000rpm scsi drives and the performance > is not what I'd expect. Have any of you found performance issues or is it > my point file creating the wait? This may be the typical number of points I > will be working with in the future. > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Hey Tobi; Have you built your surfaces yet? That's where I'm seeing the most time during a regen or open, when you see the "Enumerating..." going on down below the command line. I've got about 300 Points, 18 Alignments, 130+ Parcels and 4 Surfaces in my trial project, and it takes about 30-45 seconds to go through an Open. HTH -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:41a4d27f$1_3@newsprd01... I'm also getting a load of crashes. "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:41a4d0b8$1_3@newsprd01... > I am relatively new to Civil 3D with a little training in LDT but a long > time user of AutoCAD. I have a project using about 11,000 points and some > small raster data. The regens and normal commands like creating a layer are > taking a very long time. As much as a few minutes to regen. I'm using a > workstation with Hyper Threated Dual XEON 2.8ghz processors (4 threads), 1gb > ram, nVidia 3400 graphics card and 15,000rpm scsi drives and the performance > is not what I'd expect. Have any of you found performance issues or is it > my point file creating the wait? This may be the typical number of points I > will be working with in the future. > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

"Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:41a4d27f$1_3@newsprd01... > I'm also getting a load of crashes. Tobi, Please post detailed information on any crashes that you may be experiencing, one issue in each thread so that it can be tracked separately. Here's a pointer to a document that describes some practices in writing useful bug reports...the guidelines are very general in nature and would apply to writing bug reports for Civil3D as well: http://www.mozilla.org/quality/bug-writing-guidelines.html Please see the section entitled "How to Write a Useful Bug Report" Please don't forget to indicate which version of the software you are using: Civil3D 2005, Civil3D 2004 SP1 or Civil3D 2004. You can simply include that information in a short signature file if you prefer. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Are your points in the drawing? If you must see them, place them in another file and xref when needed. Then check your time. Bill "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:41a4d0b8$1_3@newsprd01... > I am relatively new to Civil 3D with a little training in LDT but a long > time user of AutoCAD. I have a project using about 11,000 points and some > small raster data. The regens and normal commands like creating a layer are > taking a very long time. As much as a few minutes to regen. I'm using a > workstation with Hyper Threated Dual XEON 2.8ghz processors (4 threads), 1gb > ram, nVidia 3400 graphics card and 15,000rpm scsi drives and the performance > is not what I'd expect. Have any of you found performance issues or is it > my point file creating the wait? This may be the typical number of points I > will be working with in the future. > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

The install is a network admin image install. I know ArcGIS doesn't like the images and therefore I install GIS from the CD. I'm wondering if Civil 3D is the same way. The crashing, which is a complete program drop out meaning it just closes, is happening randomly. "wfb" wrote in message news:41a4e1c7_1@newsprd01... > Are your points in the drawing? If you must see them, place them in another > file and xref when needed. > > Then check your time. > > Bill > > "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message > news:41a4d0b8$1_3@newsprd01... > > I am relatively new to Civil 3D with a little training in LDT but a long > > time user of AutoCAD. I have a project using about 11,000 points and some > > small raster data. The regens and normal commands like creating a layer > are > > taking a very long time. As much as a few minutes to regen. I'm using a > > workstation with Hyper Threated Dual XEON 2.8ghz processors (4 threads), > 1gb > > ram, nVidia 3400 graphics card and 15,000rpm scsi drives and the > performance > > is not what I'd expect. Have any of you found performance issues or is it > > my point file creating the wait? This may be the typical number of points > I > > will be working with in the future. > > > > > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Could it be possible that I need to install the Acad2005 updates after installing Civil 3D? I have Acad installed separately and have updated that. "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:41a4d0b8$1_3@newsprd01... > I am relatively new to Civil 3D with a little training in LDT but a long > time user of AutoCAD. I have a project using about 11,000 points and some > small raster data. The regens and normal commands like creating a layer are > taking a very long time. As much as a few minutes to regen. I'm using a > workstation with Hyper Threated Dual XEON 2.8ghz processors (4 threads), 1gb > ram, nVidia 3400 graphics card and 15,000rpm scsi drives and the performance > is not what I'd expect. Have any of you found performance issues or is it > my point file creating the wait? This may be the typical number of points I > will be working with in the future. > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

With a machine like that I would not accept anything less than instantaneous. 11,000 points should be a walk in the park. (I didn't know that you could even get 15,000 rpm drives !) Doug Boys
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

The 15k RPM drives are set up as RAID 0 which should boost the performance even more. (I think the drives are Seagate.) I fired up C3D at home and the crashes went away. Not only that, I would say the performance was noticeably faster and my home machine isn't exactly the powerhouse I have at work. Sounds like it's time to beat the IT guys with a rubber hose again. "Doug Boys" wrote in message news:41a5abd9$1_3@newsprd01... > With a machine like that I would not accept anything less than > instantaneous. > 11,000 points should be a walk in the park. > (I didn't know that you could even get 15,000 rpm drives !) > > Doug Boys > >
Message 10 of 10
NewtonW

This server registry tweak sped things up on my network. It increases the directory command buffer..

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=1557

Hope this helps..

-Newton

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report