Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot Created on Recover Command

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
javbarcelo
1047 Views, 6 Replies

Snapshot Created on Recover Command

Hi there,

We've been having a pretty big issue lately with our layout plans containing dref surfaces. For some reason, all surfaces are suddenly on a "Snapshot Created on Recover Command". A bit of background:

1. Existing surface (NS) created from 3d faces provided by surveyours. It lives in its own dwg file, then dref where required.
  2. External road TIN created from 3D faces provided by another company. It lives in its own dwg file, then dref where required.
  3. C3D Base.dwg is where we model our design surfaces using feature lines, corridors, etc.
  4. Layout plans are our final product where a bunch of 2D xrefs are shown, 2D annotation and the required surfaces from above using dref. Those surfaces are then labelled using contour, spot height, grade labels, etc. These layout plans also show the drainage pipe networks modelled in C3D as an xref. Those pipe networks are labelled in the layout plan.

So, as I said, for no apparent reason ALL surfaces, regardles of their source file are now is snapshot mode losing their dynamic links. It's true that deleting those surfaces and dref them again doesn't take long. The issue comes with all the dynamic annotation (contour, spot height, grade labels, etc.) that has to be redone again, being a tedious and painful job.

Has anybody come accross this issue before?

Regards

Javier

C3D 2013 SP1

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: javbarcelo

Have you tried to simply remove the snapshot?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
javbarcelo
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks for replying John.

Unfortunately that doesn't help. If I remove the snapshot (Surface Properties/Definition Tab/Right click Create Snapshot/Remove from definition) the surface becomes completely empty. The snapshot is the only operation type available in the definition tab.

Thanks again anyway.

Javier

Message 4 of 7
jmayo-EE

Sorry but I really don't have any other advice except start a support case with Adesk so they can at least log a defect. Something is going on for sure. The big thing to narrow down is whether it's an issue with the files or the product.

Form what you have posted I think your workflow is very consistent with Autodesk Best Practices and I follow a very similar workflow...

If you do contact support please keep us updated and post back.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
vlsheehan

I have. I found that it came down to how clean the grading is in source model file.

Here are a few examples.

• Make sure you do not have overlapping grading objects and feature lines.
  • Create shorter grading objects.
  • Create clean feature lines.
  • Add points to intersecting feature lines.
  • Use 3D poly lines where needed.
  • Create multiple grading model files for mutiple surfaces if needed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 6 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: vlsheehan

Oh now you didn't tell us you had gradings in the file...I would expect issues with these.

I would recommend creating the gradings as required, copy the base Fline and the resulting grading Flines to a new site. Build your final surface from the copies.

Retain the grading if you need but once complete, delete the site with the gradings.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
javbarcelo
in reply to: vlsheehan

Thank you for replying Vincent.

I don't have any grading in this model. All design surfaces were created using feature lines and then added as breaklines. They have boundaries created from polilines. I was quite careful with them so they don't self-intersect but there's always room for error. I also have a corridor with its surface. I don't get any error message in the event viewer regarding crossing breaklines.

Anyway, assuming there's a mistake in any of the design surface, that doesn't explain that the existing ground and the external road, which live in their own files and were created from 3D faces, had the same sanpshot issue.

I contacted our Autodesk reatailer for support and they have no clue why this is happening.

I have just installed the Service Pack. Maybe that'll fix it?

Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Regards

Javier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report