Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow performance with multi-selected objects comands like 'erase'

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
diegoal
3047 Views, 9 Replies

Slow performance with multi-selected objects comands like 'erase'

Hello,

I am experiencing very slow performances in my C3D2011 64b.

I realized that when I need to erase or to do any other comand to a large amount of objects my C3D2011 gets veeeery slow.

Example: when I need to erase 10.000 objects (small lines from exploded contour lines) it takes me more than 30 seconds. I tried to do the same in a AutoCad 2010 (instaled in a older and weaker machine)  and it took me 2 seconds. In fact I need to erase more then 320.000 objects and every timeI try I need to crtl+delete it because I after 10 minutes it not get finished (in the Acad2010 it took me 15 seconds).

I had the VBA enabler installed but I unistalled it to avoid loosing performance with the 32 bits emulation.

What should be happening to make C3D to slow??? And what should I do to make it better? Please, it would help me a lot.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my Tarzan english,

Diego

C3D2011 - W7 64bits i7 2.80Ghz 8GB Ram GeForce 9800 GT 4GB

C3D2010 - XP SP3 32bits Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz 2GB Ram GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: diegoal

I get similar problems - have you selected ERASE then the objects or are you selecting first and then erasing??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 10
diegoal
in reply to: neilyj666

Hello neilyj,

Usually I type the command then I select the objects. When I get back to the office I'll try select and then execute command...

Did you find how to solve it?

Thanks,

Diego

Diego Álvares
Message 4 of 10
Civil3DReminders

Slow down also happens due to the Properties window being open.

Christopher

www.CivilReminders.com

http:\\blog.civil3dreminders.com

Message 5 of 10
neilyj666

Hello neilyj,

Usually I type the command then I select the objects. When I get back to the office I'll try select and then execute command...

Did you find how to solve it?

Thanks,

Diego

Issuing the command and then making the selection is the preferred way of doing things but I've no idea what is causing the slowdown - you could also try auditing and purging.

Has the original data you are using been generated by Civil 3D or is it from a non C3D dwg/dxf as this type of data is not very efificient for C3D to process apparently??

When C3D 2011 behaves itself it is great, but it does seem to be fond of going into "Not responding" mode more often than I feel it should  

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Sinc
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:

Issuing the command and then making the selection is the preferred way of doing things

That isn't necessarily true.  Most commands are designed so you can either issue the command first then select the objects, or select objects first then issue the command.  There are some commands (mostly C3D commands) that force you to run the command first, but most commands are designed so you can do whatever is most convenient.

Sinc
Message 7 of 10
neilyj666

I stand corrected - although, for me at least, C3D's performance can be like walking through treacle at times with constant random crashes, not responding and lockups which inevitably occur when you are working to a tight deadline

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
diegoal

Hello,

"Has the original data you are using been generated by Civil 3D or is it from a non C3D dwg/dxf as this type of data is not very efificient for C3D to process apparently??"

Nops... the exploded contour lines weren't created with C3D. It was created a long time ago (I believe in 1998 in a dwg/dxf format) .

Should be this the problem of slow processes? I am running "As AutoCad" and it is still veeery slow...

Thank you,

Diego

Diego Álvares
Message 9 of 10
neilyj666

• Start Civil as AutoCAD
  • set Variable DEMANDLOAD to Zero
  • close and restart Civil as AutoCAD

May be worth trying the above which loads up a pure AutoCAD 2011 session ( check DEMANDLOAD variable first and then follow the same steps to reset afterwards).

I suspect it is the number of entities to be erased that is causing the problem - does it work ok if you select a few hundred (rather than thousands) entities?

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Partenheimer

This appears to be an issue in 64-bit Map 3D 2011.

Refer to the following Map 3D post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/ACAD-Map-3D-2011-running-slow/m-p/2930580/highlight/tru...

A CAD Manager friend of mine tested Civil 3D 2011 with and without Map 3D loaded.

Based on his tests, he isolated this as a Map 3D issue rather than a Civil 3D issue.

To disable Map 3D at Civil 3D startup see:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13390398&linkID=9240697

Michael Partenheimer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report