Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Performance

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
868 Views, 19 Replies

Slow Performance

Hi all I am running Civil 3d and having a real hard time with it's performance. What i mean by that is just an overall slow response, delays when issuing or calling commands. I don't believe its the computer; I have a Dual Xeon 2.4 p4's lots of memory, Matrox Parhelia 128 with the latest drivers, Sp1 installed and the latest patches/updates from MS for a W2K OS. I also have LDD 3 installed as well as vanilla Acad 2005 on this machine. I'm trying to create a profile and every time my cursor even get near a profile or i want to draw a line or profile line from the endpoint of a grid...it just hangs for minutes and by now has become very frustrating. I have tried to repair the installation , that didn't help, uninstalled and reinstalled, that didn't help. Did the matrox driver uninstall and reinstall, that didn't help. Turned of Video acceleration Searched the knowledge base and this newgroup and found some suggestions (turning osnaps off, docking command line and toolbars) that didn't help. Audit shows no errors nuthin to purge, and I'm getting more ticked off as the day goes on with the long delays, saving takes a long time, and task manager seems to show alot of CPU usage during these delays. The File takes a long time to open and a long time to save for a 32 Mb file Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Richard
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Just in case: Do you have a disk Array? Could it be rebuilding? This will really slow things down. "RichardG" wrote in message news:41f02e11$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi all > I am running Civil 3d and having a real hard time with it's performance. > What i mean by that is just an overall slow response, delays when issuing > or > calling commands. I don't believe its the computer; I have a Dual Xeon 2.4 > p4's lots of memory, Matrox Parhelia 128 with the latest drivers, Sp1 > installed and the latest patches/updates from MS for a W2K OS. I also have > LDD 3 installed as well as vanilla Acad 2005 on this machine. > I'm trying to create a profile and every time my cursor even get near a > profile or i want to draw a line or profile line from the endpoint of a > grid...it just hangs for minutes and by now has become very frustrating. I > have tried to repair the installation , that didn't help, uninstalled and > reinstalled, that didn't help. Did the matrox driver uninstall and > reinstall, that didn't help. Turned of Video acceleration > Searched the knowledge base and this newgroup and found some suggestions > (turning osnaps off, docking command line and toolbars) that didn't help. > Audit shows no errors nuthin to purge, and I'm getting more ticked off as > the day goes on with the long delays, saving takes a long time, and task > manager seems to show alot of CPU usage during these delays. The File > takes > a long time to open and a long time to save for a 32 Mb file > > Any suggestions would be appreciated > Thanks > Richard >
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

"RichardG" wrote in message news:41f02e11$1_1@newsprd01... > I'm trying to create a profile and every time my cursor even get near a > profile or i want to draw a line or profile line from the endpoint of a > grid...it just hangs for minutes and by now has become very frustrating. > Searched the knowledge base and this newgroup and found some suggestions > (turning osnaps off, docking command line and toolbars) that didn't help. Having osnaps on when laying out a profile will cause a slight delay (few seconds only), particularly when you first move your cursor into the profile view, and then over elements of the profile view. This is a known defect and has been addressed for a future release. It's surprising that turning osnaps off is not solving the problem atleast in this particular case. Ofcourse I understand that you would need osnaps in many cases to complete the profile design, but judicious selection of osnaps (e.g. Endpoint only if that's all that's needed) will certainly cause less delays. Could you test again with the osnaps on/off and if you continue to have problems with the profile layout, please upload a minimal data file to the customer files newsgroup (autodesk.autocad.customer-files) and I will take a look at it. Thanks. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

please upload a minimal data file to the customer files newsgroup this dwg file is 32 mb, so you surely don't mean that. What do you mean by "minimal data file" is there something else I can send you and where can i find something like that. Thanks for your response (To NeilW) I don't know what a disk array is. This file is on my local drive( one 17 GB SCSI ) "H Gohel" wrote in message news:41f03704$1_2@newsprd01... > "RichardG" wrote in message > news:41f02e11$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > I'm trying to create a profile and every time my cursor even get near a > > profile or i want to draw a line or profile line from the endpoint of a > > grid...it just hangs for minutes and by now has become very frustrating. > > > Searched the knowledge base and this newgroup and found some suggestions > > (turning osnaps off, docking command line and toolbars) that didn't help. > > Having osnaps on when laying out a profile will cause a slight delay (few > seconds only), particularly when you first move your cursor into the profile > view, and then over elements of the profile view. This is a known defect > and has been addressed for a future release. > > It's surprising that turning osnaps off is not solving the problem atleast > in this particular case. Ofcourse I understand that you would need osnaps > in many cases to complete the profile design, but judicious selection of > osnaps (e.g. Endpoint only if that's all that's needed) will certainly cause > less delays. > > Could you test again with the osnaps on/off and if you continue to have > problems with the profile layout, please upload a minimal data file to the > customer files newsgroup (autodesk.autocad.customer-files) and I will take a > look at it. > > Thanks. > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <> > >
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Just takin' a stab here, but have you checked to ensure that the path for the plot style tables exists?

For quite a while I was extremely frustrated with significant performance losses in AutoCAD, then when I checked that path in the OPTIONS, it was invalid. When I corrected it, the performance was on fire, as before.

That's probably not the the issue, but I'm just trying to help...
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

A disk array is several drives connected in parallel so that they all act as one drive, with significant performance gain as well as data redundancy. If an application causes a hard error or the system is forced to reboot, the array will "rebuild" itself on reboot in the background and it will cause the computer to act very sluggish. The only reason I brought it up is because it happened to me while I was evaluating LDT 2005 for the first time and I attributed the slow performance to the software before I was aware of the problem. Anyway, it is obviously not the issue in your case so there is no need to beat a dead horse. "RichardG" wrote in message news:41f03caf$1_2@newsprd01... > > please upload a minimal data file to the customer files newsgroup > > > this dwg file is 32 mb, so you surely don't mean that. What do you mean by > "minimal data file" is there something else I can send you and where can i > find something like that. > Thanks for your response > > (To NeilW) > I don't know what a disk array is. This file is on my local drive( one 17 > GB > SCSI ) > > > "H Gohel" wrote in message > news:41f03704$1_2@newsprd01... >> "RichardG" wrote in message >> news:41f02e11$1_1@newsprd01... >> >> >> > I'm trying to create a profile and every time my cursor even get near a >> > profile or i want to draw a line or profile line from the endpoint of a >> > grid...it just hangs for minutes and by now has become very >> > frustrating. >> >> > Searched the knowledge base and this newgroup and found some >> > suggestions >> > (turning osnaps off, docking command line and toolbars) that didn't > help. >> >> Having osnaps on when laying out a profile will cause a slight delay (few >> seconds only), particularly when you first move your cursor into the > profile >> view, and then over elements of the profile view. This is a known defect >> and has been addressed for a future release. >> >> It's surprising that turning osnaps off is not solving the problem >> atleast >> in this particular case. Ofcourse I understand that you would need >> osnaps >> in many cases to complete the profile design, but judicious selection of >> osnaps (e.g. Endpoint only if that's all that's needed) will certainly > cause >> less delays. >> >> Could you test again with the osnaps on/off and if you continue to have >> problems with the profile layout, please upload a minimal data file to >> the >> customer files newsgroup (autodesk.autocad.customer-files) and I will >> take > a >> look at it. >> >> Thanks. >> >> -- >> Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. >> Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <> >> >> >
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

"RichardG" wrote in message news:41f03caf$1_2@newsprd01... > > please upload a minimal data file to the customer files newsgroup > > > this dwg file is 32 mb, so you surely don't mean that. What do you mean by > "minimal data file" is there something else I can send you and where can i > find something like that. Hi Richard, Yes, 32MB is probably too much. What I mean by minimal data file is to remove things that won't affect the ability to reproduce the problem. Try deleting objects outside the profile view; for example, if there are any corridors, parcels, points in the thousands, etc. you could remove those before uploading the file. Again, before doing that, please check with osnaps turned off completely. If the problem goes away then we know what the issue is and don't need to investigate any further. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Hey Himanshu; Wouldn't it be better if you had the whole file on a CD? That way you would be testing a apples to apples situation, anyway. Maybe one of the items Richard deletes is causing the problem? Just a thought. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey Richard; Are these performance issues across the board in all applications, or just C3D? If across the board, I would look at the hard drive to see if write verify is turned on. And that reminded me of something else... Is your Virus Checker set to exclude certain files, or is it just checking everything - everywhere? I had an issue with Norton's Enterprise edition where it would want to reset itself to check the Network even though we kept turning that "feature" off. HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "H Gohel" wrote in message news:41f117b6$1_1@newsprd01... > "RichardG" wrote in message > news:41f03caf$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > please upload a minimal data file to the customer files newsgroup > > > > > > this dwg file is 32 mb, so you surely don't mean that. What do you mean by > > "minimal data file" is there something else I can send you and where can i > > find something like that. > > Hi Richard, > > Yes, 32MB is probably too much. What I mean by minimal data file is to > remove things that won't affect the ability to reproduce the problem. Try > deleting objects outside the profile view; for example, if there are any > corridors, parcels, points in the thousands, etc. you could remove those > before uploading the file. > > Again, before doing that, please check with osnaps turned off completely. > If the problem goes away then we know what the issue is and don't need to > investigate any further. > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <> > >
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

"Don Reichle" wrote: > > Wouldn't it be better if you had the whole file on a CD? > Maybe one of the items Richard deletes is causing the problem? Don, I prefer minimal data files. That reduces debugging times significantly by removing irrelevant items. If the problem goes away when deleting some element of the data file, then the problem would have been narrowed down already and debugging effort should be focused on that item. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

OK Himanshu, I'll bite. What methodology would you employ to determine which of the entities deleted was the cause? The only one that comes to mind would be simple Trial and Error. But without the user sending you a complete file, the onus to locate said entity would be on the user in this scenario. As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, most of us (not all of us) are driven by the project's deadline, not by the need to participate in QA/QC endeavors. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "H Gohel" wrote in message news:41f512ae$1_3@newsprd01... > "Don Reichle" wrote: > > > > Wouldn't it be better if you had the whole file on a CD? > > > Maybe one of the items Richard deletes is causing the problem? > > Don, I prefer minimal data files. That reduces debugging times > significantly by removing irrelevant items. If the problem goes away when > deleting some element of the data file, then the problem would have been > narrowed down already and debugging effort should be focused on that item. > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <> > >
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

"Don Reichle" wrote > OK Himanshu, I'll bite. What methodology would you employ to determine which > of the entities deleted was the cause? > > The only one that comes to mind would be simple Trial and Error. But without > the user sending you a complete file, the onus to locate said entity would > be on the user in this scenario. As has been pointed out on numerous > occasions, most of us (not all of us) are driven by the project's deadline, > not by the need to participate in QA/QC endeavors. Don, As you may know this newsgroup is not an official support channel, but a peer-to-peer discussion group. When a customer doesn't have time to do some experimentation, he can always go through Autodesk support to get the issue resolved. Regards, -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <>
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks, Himanshu. I had forgotten that part of the Subscription equation. A reminder didn't hurt my feelings one iota. Have a great day digging out from the record breaking snowfall! -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "H Gohel" wrote in message news:41f51eef$1_1@newsprd01... > "Don Reichle" wrote > > OK Himanshu, I'll bite. What methodology would you employ to determine > which > > of the entities deleted was the cause? > > > > The only one that comes to mind would be simple Trial and Error. But > without > > the user sending you a complete file, the onus to locate said entity would > > be on the user in this scenario. As has been pointed out on numerous > > occasions, most of us (not all of us) are driven by the project's > deadline, > > not by the need to participate in QA/QC endeavors. > > Don, > > As you may know this newsgroup is not an official support channel, but a > peer-to-peer discussion group. When a customer doesn't have time to do some > experimentation, he can always go through Autodesk support to get the issue > resolved. > > Regards, > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <> > >
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Himanshu Can I export or (wblock) out the data to send to you? Or better still, can I export the data or drawing out for my self and start another file without having to redo all my work. Zipping the file did not do it to much good (just under 20 megs after purging and deleting any and every thing from the file that I could...after all the delays I have still managed to build a corridor so that's added to its size). Now even typing in Dtext takes forever to complete....so I've got to think it might just be a damaged but not yet corrupted drawing that is still able to open. Here's another bit of info that I cut from the tail end of my "Status"...It's seems strange that their is no usage of the swap file...at home when I open any 2005 file (not Civil 3D) it seems that some part of the swapfile is being used for the session as "status" is reporting it. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. Richard Fill on Grid off Ortho off Qtext off Snap off Tablet off Object snap modes: Nearest, Free dwg disk (C:) space: 3839.1 MBytes Free temp disk (C:) space: 3839.1 MBytes Free physical memory: 1384.6 Mbytes (out of 2047.0M). Free swap file space: 0.0 Mbytes (out of 0.0M). "H Gohel" wrote in message news:41f117b6$1_1@newsprd01... > "RichardG" wrote in message > news:41f03caf$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > please upload a minimal data file to the customer files newsgroup > > > > > > this dwg file is 32 mb, so you surely don't mean that. What do you mean by > > "minimal data file" is there something else I can send you and where can i > > find something like that. > > Hi Richard, > > Yes, 32MB is probably too much. What I mean by minimal data file is to > remove things that won't affect the ability to reproduce the problem. Try > deleting objects outside the profile view; for example, if there are any > corridors, parcels, points in the thousands, etc. you could remove those > before uploading the file. > > Again, before doing that, please check with osnaps turned off completely. > If the problem goes away then we know what the issue is and don't need to > investigate any further. > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > Autodesk Civil3D Product Information <> > >
Message 14 of 20
stevef

I don't know how much help this is but if I have OSNAP on it slows the cursor down when I pass it over a profile view
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

"H Gohel" wrote in message news:41f51eef$1_1@newsprd01... > As you may know this newsgroup is not an official support channel, but a > peer-to-peer discussion group. When a customer doesn't have time to do > some > experimentation, he can always go through Autodesk support to get the > issue > resolved. This attitude amazes me. We're beta testing for Adesk!!!! I have this same issue, non-snap or system related.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

I think that this was already suggested but to reemphasize. If your system is running very slowly check to see that you have all of the plot styles on the local machine. I have had this problem with Autocad LT and also was having the problem with Civil 3D. I was ready to uninstall and go back to hand design when I remembered the previous problem with LT. Steve RichardG wrote: > Hi all > I am running Civil 3d and having a real hard time with it's performance. > What i mean by that is just an overall slow response, delays when issuing or > calling commands. I don't believe its the computer; I have a Dual Xeon 2.4 > p4's lots of memory, Matrox Parhelia 128 with the latest drivers, Sp1 > installed and the latest patches/updates from MS for a W2K OS. I also have > LDD 3 installed as well as vanilla Acad 2005 on this machine. > I'm trying to create a profile and every time my cursor even get near a > profile or i want to draw a line or profile line from the endpoint of a > grid...it just hangs for minutes and by now has become very frustrating. I > have tried to repair the installation , that didn't help, uninstalled and > reinstalled, that didn't help. Did the matrox driver uninstall and > reinstall, that didn't help. Turned of Video acceleration > Searched the knowledge base and this newgroup and found some suggestions > (turning osnaps off, docking command line and toolbars) that didn't help. > Audit shows no errors nuthin to purge, and I'm getting more ticked off as > the day goes on with the long delays, saving takes a long time, and task > manager seems to show alot of CPU usage during these delays. The File takes > a long time to open and a long time to save for a 32 Mb file > > Any suggestions would be appreciated > Thanks > Richard >
Message 17 of 20
ericx

FYI - According to Autodesk Civil 3D does not support Dual processors yet. If you have them it does not cause a problem, but as far as running autocad it the same speed as a 1 Processor machine.
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

We currently have a workstation with dual 3.0 ghz Xeon processors, 2 gb of ram, etc...

The 2 processors are CLEARLY an advantage. Autodesk might not officially support 2 processors, but Windows does. When performing identical functions in Civil 3D on workstations with only 1 processor, there is a significant advantage to the dual processor machine.

Our next workstations will definitely be dual processors. I only wish Autodesk would support hyperthreading (like Windows does). Our Autodesk rep. tells us this is coming.
Message 19 of 20
ericx

I've experienced the same thing, but it had more to do with faster bus speed, ECC Ram, better and more cache on Xeon chips (vs Pentium), and the quality of motherboard.

Unless software is written and compiled for dual processors, buying one very fast processor and motherboard is definately more cost effective - price being equal.

http://www.devx.com/Intel/Article/28617?trk=DXRSS_LATEST

I think this user had a 2.4 ghz - they may want to upgrade to 3.4 or higher.

Has anyone tried the intel extreme processors.
Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

AutoCAD is partially 2CPU aware. See the Whipthread sysvar. And:
http://tinyurl.com/7sqw5

Allen

wrote in message news:4918823@discussion.autodesk.com...
We currently have a workstation with dual 3.0 ghz Xeon processors, 2 gb of
ram, etc...

The 2 processors are CLEARLY an advantage. Autodesk might not officially
support 2 processors, but Windows does. When performing identical functions
in Civil 3D on workstations with only 1 processor, there is a significant
advantage to the dual processor machine.

Our next workstations will definitely be dual processors. I only wish
Autodesk would support hyperthreading (like Windows does). Our Autodesk
rep. tells us this is coming.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report