AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 11 of 60 (1,006 Views)

Re: Slow Civil 3d, cause by slow server, but still frustrated

04-25-2013 08:37 AM in reply to: brent.morris

I downloaded process monitor and setup the filters you specified.

Doing nothing I saw thousands of acad.exe "name not found" results in a few seconds.Most of them have the path: C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\PSDCFP-SM

That doesn't seem right. Is autocad just bagging its head against a wall over and over? Oh wait, that's me everytime I get the grayed out scren and blue wheel of death.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
Distinguished Contributor
brent.morris
Message 12 of 60 (1,000 Views)

04-25-2013 08:48 AM in reply to: IanMcClain

Isn't it amazing.

I did another test and opened Civil 3D 2013, opened a drawing and my test was to just capture what Autocad looks for when just moving a line. I have attached an excel file showing all the files and locations it looks for a file just to move a single line and that is it, I couldn't believe it.

So basically and this is just my guess but every command you do in Autocad it's wasting it's time looking for files, so just imagine when I have 80 users working over a WAN on files and all of our Autocad standards and every single command X 80 going across our WAN wasting time and bandwidth.

Brent

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 13 of 60 (995 Views)

04-25-2013 08:53 AM in reply to: brent.morris

I tried a google search for C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\ and found several links describing a Windows issue with Sync Partnership.  Might be a solution in there somewhere.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Valued Contributor
HansSMS
Message 14 of 60 (970 Views)

04-25-2013 05:32 PM in reply to: kickhead70

This all seems pretty serious, it would be good if someone from Autodesk could post a response.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Clevo Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-3720QM 3.1Ghz, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 680M
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
Valued Mentor
ralstogj
Message 15 of 60 (930 Views)

04-27-2013 06:18 PM in reply to: kickhead70
Hi

We have been having issues in our office so I upgrading our switch to a 1gb one on Friday this made thinks a little faster but did not fix the dwg drawings that hang for a couple of minutes on loading. So I watched what autocad was doing and it is looking for a load of files and not finding them. Some are lsp and fonts which I have added over the years but it seems to look in multipile places for them i will have to read up on how to reference these just once. Looking at the largest lags in time of 20 second or more one is looking for .dwl files that have gone from the project file I always assume these were safe to delete with not issues but this maybe one. I will continue to look into things when I have time
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
brent.morris
Message 16 of 60 (911 Views)

04-29-2013 07:55 AM in reply to: ralstogj

In a way I'm glad that other people are able to see this problem and in my opinion this is a big issue.

The problem is that Autocad does look for multiple files everytime you do a command and it's looking in places that you wouldn't think it would be looking for them and Autocad will try to look all over for these files trying to find them.

There is nothing you can do because this is coded into acad.exe so even though you might just have 1 reference location for example all of your companies fonts on the network, Autocad just sees this as another folder to look through when it's looking for a *.dll, *.arx, *.cuix, etc... so the more folders you have in your profile for network standards the more folders that are added on for Autocad to wastes it time looking for program files that it should be looking only in one location.

One thing you can do however to speed up Autocad is if you do have all of your companies standard fonts, ctb's, pc3's, etc.. on the network is to reduce the number of fonts and ctb's that are in those folders. You can do a test and just have a few font's and ctb's and starting a Mtext and plotting will be faster at least in bring up the dialog boxes.

Brent

Hammer.john.j
Message 17 of 60 (901 Views)

04-29-2013 10:24 AM in reply to: brent.morris

It's been suggested to us, that you avoid network search paths if at all possible and use robocopy or some other function to localize your normal LAN and WAN Standards....

John Hammer, LA
Dell Precision T3500 - Xenon W3550 @ 3.07 (4 core)
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 - Dual Monitors
Cat 6 network with GlobalScape Avail Agent - WAFS
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium and Civil 3D 2012 & 2014
brent.morris
Message 18 of 60 (869 Views)

05-01-2013 09:24 AM in reply to: Hammer.john.j

Here is the response I have gotten from Autodesk on this issue:

Thank you for your patience. The issue where the application is continually reaching over the WAN to look for files in their customized Support Files Search Paths is reported. This causes program to perform slowly.  Every time a command is invoked that requires one of the files from the Support File Search Paths, the application looks for it.  Not just the once, but every time. Your customer is pointing AutoCAD to continuously access some custom folders and files which are on the WAN network.

Unfortunately, there is no way to keep AutoCAD from doing that kind of searching because it is hard-coded that way.

Being Windows certified program, AutoCAD would respect all the Windows profile related paths, hence it is recommended to keep the paths within the profile (default settings in the deployment). Unfortunately we cannot alter the Programs behavior to suit your environment, but we can make some recommendation.

Use Default User profile for storing the support/custom files, keep these paths locally and that may help with WAN issue.

User profile could be on the server (Roaming), but it shouldnt be setup like a folder redirection.

o    If roaming user profile is setup as per MS documents, it will only write back roaming part of the server on log off, and local profile always remain on the local machine. WAN is not used when using the programs.

Hammer.john.j
Message 19 of 60 (861 Views)

05-01-2013 11:21 AM in reply to: brent.morris

I think that he means the LAN not the WAN, the only way it'll search over the WAN is if you HAVE ONE with say a VPN tunnel and drives mapped to such... there is a very specific procedure that the program uses to allocate files in the search paths.

It works from top to bottom, so the 1st rule of thumb is to always keep the default folders on your local C drive so it can find the defaults there and keep them at the top of the list.

2nd rule, limit the amount of LAN stored search paths, i.e. extra fonts, extra hatches, extra plot styles, extra lisp routines, extra whatever... now granted you can only have 1 printer path....

3rd rule, don't map drives over a vpn tunnel

remember, cad can copy the profile from a deployment down to the users workstation and they can keep their profile on their c drive, you can over write company wide with some server tools....

the only stuff you want on the server, is the stuff you change all the time that you don't want people to change without sharing :0

with that said, I need to get our fonts and hatches and all that distributed locally and get rid of as many LAN paths as possible, probably just plot styles, plotter, and pmp file

John Hammer, LA
Dell Precision T3500 - Xenon W3550 @ 3.07 (4 core)
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 - Dual Monitors
Cat 6 network with GlobalScape Avail Agent - WAFS
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium and Civil 3D 2012 & 2014
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 20 of 60 (854 Views)

05-01-2013 12:00 PM in reply to: Hammer.john.j
We just got to mapping our plotters over the network for 2013. Apparently someone tried it for 2011 but it caused crashes. In 2013 one user had no problems, but another said it locked up for ages when opening the Plot window. So he copied the folder to his C drive and pointed the path there instead, and problem solved. Don't know what the difference is between setups!

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs