Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slope labels for feature lines projected to profile

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
rkmcswain
5999 Views, 18 Replies

Slope labels for feature lines projected to profile

C3D2011

Say you have a feature line in plan view and you project it to profile view.

Is there a way to label the true slope of the projected feature line segments in profile?

The profile view depth labels are not accurate since it's simply calculating the length from station to station in profile.

...and of course this does not correspond to the true segment length since the feature line is not parallel to the alignment.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

If you project anything to a profile view that is offset (and/or not parallel) to the alignment the true grade can't be labeled. Just like the outside and inside eop will not have the same true grade as the PGL.

And to do so with the profile view stationing would be equally incorrect.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

If you project anything to a profile view that is offset (and/or not parallel) to the alignment the true grade can't be labeled. .

When you say "can't be labeled", I'm assume what you are saying is that this is missing functionality, because obviously there is no reason it can't be done. The true grade is known, there just isn't a command to make it happen......

Message 4 of 19
Joe-Bouza

That's not exactly what I'm saying.

If you have a profile view along the center line and the grade is 2% and you have a curve from station pc1+25  to pt2+00 (assuming no SE) the grade of the inside and outside curve will not be 2% but some other value x% (due to the arc length). If you project either eop to the profile they will project to station 1+25 and 2+00 respectively. The functionality to label is there but each curve is actually shorter or longer than 75 feet, but the end points will be at the correct elevation, so if you place the real grade on them the point can be argued that E2-E1/ .75 does not equal x%.

I believe this is why the software does not label SI profiles; it would be a lie.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 19
rkmcswain

We are on a different wavelength here....

I understand the whole thing about true length, etc. Sorry, I tried to make that clear in my initial post....

My point is that C3D *knows* the true length of any feature line segment, and it knows the elevations at each end point, and so by definition, it knows the true grade - which is easily found in the C3D table below.

flinedata.png

So yes, I know the *representation* of any given segment in the profile will not be accurate - but I'm not interested in it labeling segments on how they appear, just labeling the true grade.....hence my conclusion that this is missing functionality.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 19
Joe-Bouza

Smiley Wink I think we are on the same wave length. I think the functionality is not there due to the true length conundrum

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 19
rkmcswain

So what choice is there than manually placing text/mtext in the profile view     Smiley Mad 

Seems as if there would be more people needing this functionality...

Message 8 of 19
jbear0000

Did you ever find a way to do this? I also need to add slope labels to projected feature lines.

Message 9 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: jbear0000

@jbear0000 wrote:

Did you ever find a way to do this? I also need to add slope labels to projected feature lines.

No, I have not.

Message 10 of 19
jbear0000

My solution for this was to project the feature lines, then create a new profile line that follows along those projected feature lines. I then set the style for that new profile line to be a non-display style and then I have slope labels on my projected feature lines. In the areas between the projected feature lines I simply delete the slope labels I don't need.

Message 11 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: jbear0000

@jbear0000 wrote:

My solution for this was to project the feature lines, then create a new profile line that follows along those projected feature lines. I then set the style for that new profile line to be a non-display style and then I have slope labels on my projected feature lines. In the areas between the projected feature lines I simply delete the slope labels I don't need.

That doesn't work unless the feature line is parallel to the alignment - because the grades in the profile view are not true.

It also does not offer any advantage over manually adding labels since both will have to be updated if the feature line is edited.

Message 12 of 19
Joe-Bouza

I was thinking, one way to do it would be to label the FL grade in plan and drag the label  to the projected profile.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 19
n2itive

Just a thought here but what about creating a pipe network from that feature line and using a generic single line style. That way you could use the pipe slope as your label and it would be the actual slope. Obviously, if you have any curves or arcs this won't work but for straight segment it would.

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 14 of 19
rkmcswain

Joe-Bouza wrote:

I was thinking, one way to do it would be to label the FL grade in plan and drag the label  to the projected profile.

That works, as long as the labels don't move around "on their own" Smiley Wink

Still hard to believe this basic functionality is missing.

Thanks, and yes I know this is a 3-year old thread....

Message 15 of 19
ToddRogers-WPM

So, what did you figure out as a workaround for this?  I have been working on this for over an hour now.  No expressions, workarounds, etc., are acceptable in this case.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 16 of 19
connelly
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

This is an old tread but I stumbled on it when I was trying to do the same thing.  My work around was to add a profile depth label and create my own label style that shows "Grade between Point 1 and Point 2".  I even added an arrow to show the slope direction.  You have to draw between the points to show the slope, but it's better than just copying test from the geometry editor because it is dynamic and you can change it as you feature line changes.

Message 17 of 19
brentdaley7189
in reply to: connelly

This still only adds the chord segment grade, not the true grade around the return. I dont' see a way of automatically doing this. Which sucks. Have to hand type those in.
Message 18 of 19
jennya
in reply to: connelly

Sounds like a good solution for what I need. Can you elaborate on the label style? Or share it here please?

Thank you!

Message 19 of 19
jennya
in reply to: jennya

Actually, I just figured this out. lol Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report