Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide Bearing to Create Single Parcel

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
mcloughlin
1830 Views, 13 Replies

Slide Bearing to Create Single Parcel

I've searched the lists, but to no avail.  Using LDD, we were able simply to create a parcel of a pre-determined size by sliding a pre-determined bearing along the existing boundaries using the simple command "slide bearing" and by picking the appropriate angle points.  In Civil 3D 2014, this should be possible with equal simplicity, no?  

Oddly, though, by using the "Parcel Layout Tools" we inevitably end with the command line "CREATEPARCELBYLAYOUT:Select parcel to be subdivided or [Pick]:", which does nothing no matter what alternative we pick.  

I feel certain that we're missing some simple issue here; this is land with no "frontage," no arcs, nothing - just a simple open-ended boundary from which we need to create one single parcel!  I append a JPG to illustrate.  Surely, this is at least as simple as in LDD, no?  Thanks!

Slide Bearing 19 Mar 2014.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mcloughlin

This isn't Kansas anymore 🙂

Parcels operate differently than LDT. Note that c3d is not an upgrade to LDT it is a different program, and referencing to what was could be meaningless to some and uninteresting to others. I say this in the kindest of ways.
Have you done any of the tutorials on parcels? Parcel tool bar divides parcels, so you have to start with a parcel to divide.

A word of caution: parcels are very particular about accuracy. So, I'd aavoid using polylines to start with. You can use acad objects to start with but best make sure they are clean as a whistle or you could expect BIG trouble down the pike

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Pointdump

M,

Suck it up. Make a polyline enclosing your boundary. Then create a Parcel, thusly:

Parcel.png

Here's how to use the Slide Line Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFMoAk8988

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

I danced around it didn't I. <g>

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
mcloughlin
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thank you for your response.  The existing boundary lines shown are part of a parcel (points turned off for clarity).  We need to be able to slide a bearing that is picked by choosing endpoints of a line of the appropriate bearing, labeled as shown in the JPG I first appended.  Oddly, we are unable to induce Civil 3D 3D 2014 to do this using the parcel creation tools/slide line sequence.  What are we missing?  This cannot be more complex than it was in LDD, can it?  

Message 6 of 14
Pointdump

M,

"This cannot be more complex than it was in LDD, can it?"

Time to move on, son. If you want to use Civil 3D, then you're going to have to spend some effort. If the effort isn't worth it, then stick with LDT. You can get solutions on this forum, but absolutely no sympathy.

P.S. Did you watch the 7-1/2 minute video I linked? Short and sweet.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 14
Joe-Bouza

@mcloughlin wrote:

Thank you for your response.  The existing boundary lines shown are part of a parcel (points turned off for clarity).  We need to be able to slide a bearing that is picked by choosing endpoints of a line of the appropriate bearing, labeled as shown in the JPG I first appended.  Oddly, we are unable to induce Civil 3D 3D 2014 to do this using the parcel creation tools/slide line sequence.  What are we missing?  This cannot be more complex than it was in LDD, can it?  

Did you read my first response?

Create it from the objects, then SUB-DIVIDE it with the parcel tools

Correct; its not that complicated, but if you hold on to former work flows civil3d will bite you in the A$$. Let go and take it in.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Take note ot the Note at the bottom of my signature

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I'm not a gamblin-man, Dave, but I have a hunch here 🙂

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Pointdump

Joe,

I am a gambling man, and I've got $20.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 11 of 14
mcloughlin

I shall dub this the most useful of the responses I received, and thank everyone for assisting.
Message 12 of 14
Pointdump

McL,

Yer welcome.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

So what's the answer?

Message 14 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

In Post # 3 see Dave's link to a video.  (Very good Dave.)

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report