Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Alignment Circles Back, Intersection

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1934 Views, 3 Replies

Single Alignment Circles Back, Intersection

Pretty sure I know the answer, but if I have a single alignment that basically makes the shape of a lolipop I am not able to create an intersection am I?  I am pretty sure I can't since I cannot snap to anything.  If the lolipop did not describe it think of a utility site where you typically have a single access road but that road circles the site and links back up with the single access road but not at the main road.  I was just hoping to clean up that connection with nice radii on both the right and left side of the road when making that connection.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Greetings!  Well I tried to figure this out to answer my question and the answer is no a single alignment that loops around and crosses itself cannot use the intersection tool to make the crossing "neat".  My new question is why not?  So what is my recourse if I want to use a single alignment that crosses itself?  Do I add a filleted feature line to the daylight lines to represent the edge of shoulder at the intersection? To me this is frustrating.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
castled071049
in reply to: Anonymous

Even if the alignment does not cross itself, but just intersects another alignment twice, one cannot produce intersections using the intersection wizard. Your choices, then, are twofold:

1) Ignore the intersection tools altogether and create the intersections old school, like we did in '08, '09, etc.

2) Instead of one alignment, split it somewhere in the middle and make two separate alignments, and then no problems using the intersection tools.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: castled071049

Since I did not get the luxury of creating the intersections the old fashion way in 08 or 09, I did end up using two separate alignments.  It is quite frustrating to say the least that intersections are not available for a single alignment especially when this condition exists in rural america frequently.  Thanks again for explaining. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report